Chapter 21

(Val's POV)

As the crowd cheers for Velvet and Veneer, I keep trying to take the bracelet off as I sit on the floor. But no amount of tugging is doing the trick. And I can't use the remote control, because it was thrown into the water.

"Val, are you okay?" I hear Poppy ask as she and Branch run over to me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just stuck," I say while looking down at them.

"There's no way for you to get out of that?" Brach asks.

I shake my head. "No, but we should be worrying about Floyd right now."

We all look up at the platform Velvet and Veneer are on. And from there, Velvet says, "All right. You guys want an encore?"

My eyes widened after she said that. "No! What about our deal?!" I shout up to her. But through the loud chants from the fans, I doubt my words were able to reach her.

Velvet presses the button on her chest plate, and her whole body starts to glow.

"Floyd will never make it. He's got nothing left," Bruce says.

I look down at Branch. "If you want to sing the perfect family harmony, now's the time to do it."

Branch nods before turning to his brothers. "Guys. Poppy said something earlier, and she was right. We don't have to be perfect to be in harmony. We just have to be as we are...Together."

After nodding at one another, John Dory places his hand on the glass. "We'll follow your lead, Branch."

"Here we go!" Velvet shouts through a microphone.

Just then, Crimp hops onto the control panel beside me and turns off the microphones. She smiles at us and gives a thumbs-up.

Branch looks up at Floyd with worry. But regardless, he starts to sing.

Branch:

It's some kind of love, it's some kind of fire

I'm already up, but you lift me higher

You know I'm not wrong, you know I'm not lyin'

We do it better...

As Branch is singing, everyone in Mount Rageous watches through the cameras. Soon Branch's brothers join him, dancing in unison and snapping their fingers.

Branch, John Dory, Bruce, Clay:

We do it better, yeah

And I don't mind if the world spins faster

The music's louder, the waves get stronger

I don't mind if the world spins faster

Faster, faster

Just let me take you to a better place...

I look around when the crowd starts cheering for them. But something feels weird about myself, and it seems very familiar. Not even a second goes by and my vision goes white like before.

Glitter surrounds me and I fall to the ground. My vision clears and I'm back to my small size. Not only that, but my wrist is also free.

Poppy comes over and helps me up.

Branch, John Dory, Bruce, Clay:

I'm gonna make ya kiss the sky tonight