Chapter 18

(Val's POV)

I lean back on a chair that rests beside the makeup table, looking up at the ceiling. "And then everything went back to normal. Music returned and every troll from every tribe sang with one another happily. The music lived on."

Floyd chuckles to himself as he sits in the bottle. "That was quite the adventure. And I'm glad Branch was able to find someone like Poppy."

"Oh, she's amazing. Very energetic and happy all the time. But regardless, Branch loves her. Sometimes I wonder what it's like to love someone," I say.

It's quiet for a few seconds before Floyd says, "Yeah, that is a thought."

"I wonder if the others made it here already," I say out loud.

Floyd sighs. "I hope so."

The silence returns once again. It's been over an hour already, and I'm starting to worry. And yes, I did turn back to my small size eventually. But Velvet returned to check my progress in cleaning up the glitter. I finished that task, thank God. But she sprayed the bottle on me before she left.

Now I have been telling Floyd about my adventures these past few months, from saving the trolls from being eaten by Bergens up to when I became the Peacekeeper of Music.

I sit up when I hear a familiar voice whisper from above. "Val?" I glance up at the vent I snuck in from and see Poppy, along with Branch and Tiny. But they have confused and surprised looks on their faces.

Floyd seems to have heard it as well, because he looks around, trying to find where the voice came from.

"Guys. You're here," I say in relief.

I guess they were hesitant to assume it was me due to my height difference. But they smile before lowering themselves down on a sticky hand-looking toy.

They land in my hands. Poppy is the first to say something. "Val, what happened to you? You changed."

I shrug sheepishly. "Yeah, a lot has happened since I got here. I discovered more about my kind, and now I'm forced to work for Velvet and Veneer. I'll explain the rest later."

Now jumping down on the table, the three of them see Floyd. Branch is the first to approach the diamond bottle. "Floyd," he says quietly.

Floyd stares at him in surprise. "Branch? Is it really you?" He asks this while placing his hand on the glass.

Branch nods and places his hand where Floyd's is. "Yeah. It's really me."

Floyd looks down at his clothing. "Wow. You've really grown into that vest. You're a man now."

With a sigh, Branch leans on the glass as if he is trying to hug Floyd. "Oh. Finally, somebody gets me."

Floyd does the same and leans on the glass. He backs up with worry and says, "But you need to leave. Right now."

"No, Floyd. It's okay. We're here to rescue you, and Val too," Poppy says, standing next to Branch.

"No. This is a trap. Velvet and Veneer, they--they lured you here," Floyd says desperately.

I nod and lean forward. "He's right. I don't want them to find you here with us. If anything, wait for John Dory, Bruce, and Clay. It'll be easier once you guys are together to free Floyd."

Branch disagrees. "No. We're not leaving here without you two."

"Branch, please. Do it for me," Floyd says.

Just then, Velvet's voice is heard from down the hall. "We're so close. I told you BroZone would show up."

Branch, Poppy, and Tiny go up into the vent with the sticky hand toys. Floyd quickly sits back down and pretends nothing happened. I do the same, looking down at the table with a blank expression.