31. Rise of the 'Hem-Hem!'

◄✩༄*∗"Shrimp waffles are fucking disgusting

◄✩༄*∗"Shrimp waffles are fucking disgusting."∗*༄✩►

◄✩༄*∗  I just pretend that I'm in the dark and 

I don't regret 'cause my heart can't take a loss.

I'd rather be so oblivious

I'd rather be with you  ∗*༄✩►

— In Your Eyes | The Weeknd

【 ✧ ☾⋆☼⋆☽ ✧ 】

"DID EVERYONE SEE THAT Grubbly-Plank woman?" asked Ginny as they climbed into a carriage. "What's she doing back here? Hagrid can't have left, can he?"

"I'll be quite glad if he has," said Luna. "He isn't a very good teacher, is he?"

"Yes, he is!" said Y/N, Harry, Ron, and Ginny angrily.

Harry glared at Hermione; she cleared her throat and quickly said, "Erm . . . yes . . . he's very good."

"Well, we think he's a bit of a joke in Ravenclaw," said Luna, unfazed.

"You've got a rubbish sense of humor then," Ron snapped, as the wheels below them creaked into motion.

Luna did not seem perturbed by Ron's rudeness; on the contrary, she simply watched him for a while as though he were a mildly interesting television program.

Rattling and swaying, the carriages moved in convoy up the road. Hogwarts Castle loomed ever closer: a towering mass of turrets, jet-black against the dark sky, here and there a window blazing fiery bright above them.

The carriages jingled to a halt near the stone steps leading up to the oak front doors and Harry got out of the carriage first, closely followed by Y/N. She turned to look for lit windows down by the forest, but there was definitely no sign of life within Hagrid's cabin. Y/N frowned; Professor Grubbly-Plank had greeted them at the train station instead of Hagrid, which had greatly disturbed and worried the lot of them—well, except for Luna, apparently.

"Are you coming or what?" said Ron behind Y/N. She turned to find Harry staring at a blank spot before the carriage.

"Oh . . . yeah," said Harry quickly, and they joined the crowd hurrying up the stone steps into the castle.

The entrance hall was ablaze with torches and echoing with footsteps as the students crossed the flagged stone floor for the double doors to the right, leading to the Great Hall and the start-of-term feast.

The four long House tables in the Great Hall were filling up under the starless black ceiling, which was just like the sky they could glimpse through the high windows. Candles floated in midair all along the tables, illuminating the silvery ghosts who were dotted about the Hall and the faces of the students talking eagerly to one another, exchanging summer news, shouting greetings at friends from other Houses, eyeing one another's new haircuts and robes. Y/N noticed people putting their heads together to whisper as she and Harry passed; glancing at him, she noticed his jaw tick and wished there was a way she could comfort him without it seeming like she was making a move on him.