61. How To Torture Someone Without Being Caught: A Guide

◄✩༄*∗"I really doubt that it takes much activity to take care of a golden snidget

◄✩༄*∗"I really doubt that it takes much activity to take care of a golden snidget."∗*༄✩►

◄✩༄*∗ You're only sixteen

And you're such a tease

And there's nothing you do

That can really please∗*༄✩►

— Sixteen | No Doubt

【 ✧ ☾⋆☼⋆☽ ✧ 】

'I'M GOING DOWN TO Hagrid's early to see Witherwings," Y/N said later that afternoon, ten minutes before lunch ended. "Hopefully he won't be too down . . ."

She kissed Harry good-bye and scampered off, exiting the portrait hole (they had gone up to the Gryffindor common room after eating) and making way for the Clock Tower. Once there, she descended the numerous stairs to the landing, where she crossed the Clock Tower Courtyard and finally hurried across the sun-bathed lawns to Hagrid's hut. The window curtains were drawn shut and Y/N assumed that Buckbeak was inside.

She knocked thrice on the door and stepped back, squeezing her bag handles tight as she waited.

Hagrid's large head poked out of the door suspiciously before his face broke out into a large grin as he saw Y/N. She grinned up at him, hoping he didn't see the guilt behind her lips.

"Y/N!" he said, ushering her in. As predicted, Buckbeak laid across the mattress on the far side of the room, gnawing at a ferret. His head shot up at her entrance and he eyed her warily. She bowed lowly, waiting, until his head dipped, and she took it as a sign to approach him and stroke his beak. "Where're Harry, Ron, an' Hermione?"

Y/N sighed. She knew this was coming, but a part of her had hoped that it wasn't.

"They . . . I'm sorry, Hagrid, it's not your fault at all, but they couldn't take Care of Magical Creatures because they've got a lot of other classes and didn't have the space for it," Y/N said very quickly and quietly, her stomach churning as Hagrid's smile dropped. "I mean, they would've totally taken your class, but Harry wants to be an Auror, Hermione wants to go into the Ministry, and Ron probably also wants to be an Auror, and Creature training isn't in the pathway . . ."

"Oh," Hagrid said ruefully, sitting at his table and looking at the wood, his fingers rolling around each other. She hated that she had to be the one to break the news to him. Why couldn't they just toughen up and tell Hagrid? He would have found out sooner or later.

"I mean—I'm here, aren't I?" Y/N said, trying to lighten the mood. "You've got me here, I mean, what more could you want? I'm everything."

Hagrid cracked a smile, becoming more positive as he looked up at Y/N, who walked over to him and put a comforting hand on his massive shoulder. She grinned brightly down at him