Chapter Four🌹

"Why do we have to go to church tomorrow?" Edward groaned loudly and Evelyn sighed. "Because father wants to Elliot's marry priest's daughter, so we have to attend Sunday churches in the future." She said and picked a flower.

"So boring." Edward waved his hands in the air and fell onto his back on the grass. Evelyn stopped and twirled the flower in her hand. "I know but we still have to try to look interested." She spoke and looked at the bridge where she saw two people approaching.

"Edward please get up." Evelyn stepped closer, looking down. "I do not want to go." He said and looked at the sky. "Get up, father and Elliot are waiting for us." Evelyn said pulling her brother off the ground.

"Good afternoon, Evelyn." A quiet voice came from behind the siblings and Evelyn snapped her head in the direction. The twins stood behind them looking at the siblings, Evelyn felt her cheeks heat up and gave a look to her brother who got up from the ground.

"Same to you, Jane Alec." Evelyn spoke softly and looked at the twins. "Going to the village?" Jane asked looking at the girl's younger sibling who was standing in front of the red haired girl with his arms crossed on his chest.

"Yes, we're going, but someone's stopping us and our journey has slowed down." Evelyn said placing a hand on her little brother's shoulders and smiling sweetly at the twins.

A smile appeared on Jane's face and she looked at the boy in front of her. "I see. You know that nice children who obey get lots of treats as a reward." Jane spoke to Edward who was hiding behind Evelyn's dress. "I don't want to because father is forcing us to go to church tomorrow." He spoke and poked his head towards the dress.

"Yes, Father wants us to attend every Sunday from now on because our brother will be married to the priest's daughter when he reaches full age." Evelyn spoke and Alec furrowed his brows. "Is it forced?" Jane asked curiously.

Evelyn nodded slightly. "Yes, father wants us to marry the good and wealthy." She explained and even made eye contact with Alec, whose expression became expressionless. Jane glanced at her brother and then at the girl in front of her. "We are also going to the village, we can go the same way?" She asked cautiously and hesitantly. A smile appeared on Evelyn's face and she nodded.

They walked towards the village with Edward running ahead. Evelyn walked beside Alec and glanced at him every now and then. She still hasn't gotten over the boy's words in the meadow.

"Are there more of you?" She asked curiously and Jane answered. "No just the two of us, we live with our mother." She told and looked at the girl who nodded.

They arrived at the village and Evelyn noticed the villagers staring at the twins and they even gave her strange looks. She remembered her father's words and raised an eyebrow. She thought about Alec's words and realized their meaning.

"We'll continued our journey there." Alec said and Evelyn didn't have time to say anything as the twins left her side.

She felt a small sadness rise as she thought. Don't they want to appear in her company because they are mistaken for those witch twins. Evelyn felt sorry for them, no one should be judged without a reason, she doesn't think the twins are witches but she doesn't know them yet. She saw the young teens looking in the direction of the twins and whispering to each other they even stared at Evelyn from head to toe.

Edward had stopped and noticed the eyes of the villagers as well and turned to look at his sister. "Why are they staring?" The boy asked and Evelyn gave him a smile. "I don't know but it's nothing." She told and took her brother's hand and they continued deeper into the village.

                                 ✿✿✿

"It was about time you came." Their father spoke looking at the siblings who are behind schedule.

"I'm sorry father, Edward was tricky." Evelyn spoke and looked at the church in front of them. "Let's go, the priest wants us to decorate the inside." Their father spoke and the church door opened.

Opposite stood a middle-aged man who looked at them with a smile. "Welcome." He said, opening his arms to welcome them. Evelyn watched as their father and Elliot greeted the priest, before turning to her. "Here is my daughter Evelyn." He introduced and the priest looked at the girl. Evelyn looked back in a smile on her face and the priest blinked. "Nice to meet you." He spoke and turned inside the church.

And what was that. Evelyn thought to herself and followed her father and big brother inside. The priest thanked for the help and they talked about tomorrow and his daughter Amelia in general.

"We have one more help today." The priest told and the woman came around the corner smiling. Evelyn found out later that the woman is the mother of the twins.

Their father was a little talkative to the woman and looked at her sometimes evilly, knowing she was the mother of the 'witch twins'.

Evelyn didn't mind her father's stares as she chatted with the woman and helped her put the decorations up higher. Evelyn was tall for her age, both of her parents are tall and so are her brother.

They got the church ready for tomorrow and said goodbye. They got out and her father took Evelyn by the hand. "That woman is the mother of witch twins, stay away from her you don't have to be nice to her." He spoke firmly and Evelyn looked at her father in surprise.

"You don't even know if the rumours are true, I've met them and there's nothing about witchcraft." Evelyn spoke bravely but her father's gaze became expressionless. "You've met them? Even though I specifically told you to stay away from them, why can't you be like your brother who listens and obeys!" Her father yelled and Elliot stopped beside Edward, looking wide eyed.

Her father's grip on her hand tightened and Evelyn looked up. "I'll tell you one more time, stay away from those witch twins." He said and let go, walking past Elliot and Edward who were staring in silence.

Evelyn has always been a brave and rebellious child who was never liked by her father. Elliot has never rebelled against his father so he is the favorite child in the family.