Chapter Thirteen🌹

When I saw you,
I fell in love,
and you smiled
because you know.

                         ~William Shakespeare

_____

"I think I'm in love with Alec."

Evelyn sat on the river with tears in her eyes, she stared at two birds flying side by side in an arc and whistling chords. She hasn't seen Alec for a week and was waiting for him every day by the river where even the trees were already starting to turn yellow.

Every day she stared at the clouds in the sky and went over the events of that morning in her mind. She had tried to go after Alec but he had quickly left the church.
Elliot had told her to give the boy time, he must have taken it hard, so Evelyn gave Alec time and waited by the river every day.

The girl had also been thinking about the day she defended the twins, could it be that her father did this on purpose? Evelyn felt anger rising in her body and threw the rock into the river screaming.

"Evelyn?"

Her brother's voice came from behind. The girl breathed heavily and let the tears fall. Elliot's approaching footsteps made her quickly wipe her eyes and sit down.

Elliot slowed to his sister's side and looked down at her. Basically they were in the same situation, Elliot himself doesn't want to marry Amelia but he has to and his sister seems to be in love with this witch twin but their father found her a boy in the village.

"It hurts."

Elliot sat next to his sister and picked up a flower in his hand which he twirled. "I suppose he still hasn't come?" He asked cautiously.

Evelyn winced a little and held back tears. "I think he doesn't want to see me anymore."

Those words hurt his brother too, all his brother's desire is just for Evelyn to be happy. During the summer he had seen his sister happy and that made his happy too, but then their father had introduced them to the boy Evelyn would marry when she turned eighteen. Alec had been standing with his sister near them and of course heard the whole thing.

So now the witch twin was gone.

"Maybe it's time to visit their house?" Elliot spoke and looked at the river. Evelyn shrugged.

"What was that?" He asked, furrowing his brow in wondering at his sister's reaction.

"I'm scared."

"Why?" Elliot asked, turning fully to face his sister, who furrowed her brows and looked up at the sky.

"I'm scared when I go to their house and if I meet Alec and he tells me it's over." Evelyn said quietly, but Elliot listened intently.

He take a deep breath. Elliot has never been in love with anyone so he doesn't quite understand why Evelyn is so broken. But he understands that love definitely hurts when he looks at Evelyn.

"Two loving young people who can't have each other." Elliot spoke up.

"The girl's father hates the boy, and tries to prevent them from being together." Evelyn continued.

"Go to their house." Elliot said looking at his sister who nodded.

"I'm going to do it." She said getting up wiping her dress. Elliot watched his sister's red hair dance in the wind and her figure disappear behind the hill.

                                 ✿✿✿

Evelyn stood at the tree line, looking at the small cabin in front of her. Leaves flew around her and she felt the grass swaying around her feet.

After taking a deep breath, Evelyn started to walk the rest of the way towards the door which was approaching too quickly.

Sh felt herself getting nervous and slowed down. Uncertain, Evelyn turned around and took steps but stopped when she heard the door open behind her.

"Evelyn?"

She slowly turned around and let out a breath. "Jane." She greeted and the girl closed the door behind her and walked towards the red haired angel.

Jane looked at the girl's appearance and immediately knew what she was up to. She stopped in front of the girl and gave a small smile.

"Is Alec home?" Evelyn asked, breathing slowly.

Jane stared at the angel in front of her, blue eyes looking at green ones. Evelyn furrowed her brows. "Is Alec home I'd like to talk to him."

"He's broken, he doesn't want to see you." Jane answered with short words that Evelyn would not have wanted to hear.

Evelyn took a deep breath and decided for once to be strong and not to give up.

"I don't care I have to see him and talk, where is he?" Evelyn spoke softly and Jane looked up into her eyes.

Now she understood what Alec meant. The rays of the last summer sun danced in her eyes, Evelyn's eyes were red with tears so her eyes shone like emeralds in a dark mine. With each blink, Jane felt herself disappearing into those eyes. She stared for a moment before answering.

"Alec is in his room, left from the hall and second door." Jane spoke as if under hypnosis.

"Thank you I appreciate this." Evelyn spoke and walked past Jane who blinked.

She entered through the outer door, which gave a view of a small living room with not much stuff. Her gaze rippled through the furniture and landed on a small hallway with three doors.

The second door on the left, so the other two must have been Jane's and their mother's, or the bathroom. She took slow steps forward, her steps as silent as a fairy's. She reached second door on the left and found that there was no going back.

Evelyn stopped in front of the brown wooden door and took a slow, deep breath. The door she is standing in front of is Alec's and behind the door is him. That made her nervous.

Evelyn could already hear her brother's voice in her mind calling her a coward, begging her to pull herself together and knock on the door. Like another voice his brother always told the right words. He was like a director pulling his puppets by the strings, so Evelyn raised her hand and knocked twice.

Her knuckles softly hitting the wooden door. Evelyn held her breath.