Chapter Seven🌹

Alec was silently staring at the flowers in front of him and Evelyn was silent too

Alec was silently staring at the flowers in front of him and Evelyn was silent too. "I can help fix the fence." She said carefully and Alec looked up. "No need, I can fix it myself." He replied and Evelyn gave a small nod. They both were in silence for a moment and suddenly Alec stood up.
"I have to go." He said and Evelyn watched the brown haired boy starting to walk towards the mountains. She was left staring open-mouthed at Alec's surprising behavior.

                                 ✿✿✿

There weren't many people who didn't see Evelyn angry and out of sorts as she stormed towards the village. Her mother always taught her to control her emotions and behave matter-of-factly. She moved among the people and pushed them out of her way. Her gaze searched the crowd and soon she noticed a red-haired boy standing with a few youths by the well.

"Elliot!" She shouted to get the boy's attention and watched as he apologized to his friends and came towards the angry girl.
Elliot walked over to his sister and looked at her expression, she was clearly angry and out of sorts but why? Her braid was loose and sweat was running down her forehead.

She furrowed her brows as she watched her brother approach with his sleeves rolled up and his hands covered in dirt. "Evelyn what is it?" He asked, glancing at his sister's eyes, which were shining bright green.

"Alec." Was all Evelyn said and Elliot raised an eyebrow. She sighed and opened her hair which freely fell on her shoulders and back. "Have you heard your new friends breaking fences or destroying anything?" She asked looking at the group Elliot was standing with earlier.

"What do you mean?" He asked glancing at his friends to whom Evelyn was looking at tightly. "Alec is behaving strangely towards me and Jane told me that their fence and plantings have been destroyed." She explained and Elliot sighed. "I know about those 'witch twins' reputation here, but I haven't heard anything about that." He answered and Evelyn started to walk away.

Her brother shook his head and looked up to the sky with a furrow in his eyebrows. His friends shouted at him, but Elliot paid them no mind, averting his gaze from the sky he began to follow her sister.

He jogged and saw his sister running through the meadow towards the house which was further away. Evelyn stopped at the edge of the tree and looked at the small cottage in the yard where there were sheets drying in the spring wind, her gaze wavered and she spotted Alec in the back yard fixing the fence.

She walked with quick steps towards the boy who was crouching by the fence. "Alec." She said sharply and the boy looked up in a flash and blue eyes met glowing green ones.

Alec put the piece of board down and looked at the girl. "Evelyn what are you doing here?" He asked wonderingly. Evelyn swallowed a lump in her throat and stared at Alec who is standing in front of her with his sleeves rolled up and the first few buttons of his shirt open. Her gaze wandered over the boy's body and she finally spoke.

"I want to know what's going on? Why are you acting like that, first you don't want to be with me, then you do, and then you quickly disappear from the place again."

"I'm confused and I can't take this." She exclaimed and Alec just stared at her. "It's just, you better stay away from us, you see what they're doing to us and I don't want anything to happen to you." Alec explained, brushing the hair from his eyes.

"I don't care what other people think of me I want to be with you." Evelyn said and Alec shaked his head. "Evelyn please." He said pleadingly.

Evelyn blinked a tear from her eye that was coming and felt it drip down her cheek.

"Why don't you want to be my friend even though I try so hard?"

Alec was unable to look the girl in the eyes and tried to swallow the lump in his throat.

"Alec." She said quietly and softly.

"EVELYN!"

Evelyn groaned loudly and angrily. "That idiot of course he..." She hissed.

"Evelyn!"

"What!" She shouted and turned her head.

Elliot stood further away, staring at the two in front of him and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Let's go now!" He exclaimed and turned his eyes to Alec who was staring down.

Evelyn took one last look at the boy in front of her who avoided eye contact and lifted her skirt so she could step over the fence to the other side where her brother was waiting.

Jane stared from the front door and watched the two leave and turned her eyes to her brother who was staring after them.

Evelyn lifted her skirt and began to dash past her brother. With her hair blowing in the wind and tears on her cheeks, she ran on the meadow, flowers hitting her bare legs, she didn't stop even when she heard her brother's shouts.

"Evelyn please wait!" Elliot yelled and looked at Alec who was staring at the meadow.

"Damn it she's a fast runner!" He exclaimed throwing arms in the air and started running after her sister.

Jane walked by her brother's side, looking after the siblings who were running across the meadow with Evelyn far ahead and Elliot hot on the heels.

Evelyn ran towards the hill and the downhill that led to the tree line where the flowers and the river were revealed. She stopped and fell to her knees on the ground, wiping the last tears from her eyes.

"Evelyn!" Elliot shouted from the top of the hill and approached his sister with a worried look on his face. "What the hell is going on?" He asked with a shout and leaned on his knees, breathing heavily and wiping the sweat from his forehead.

Evelyn fell onto her back and stared at the clouds forming patterns in the sky. She blinked silently and opened her mouth.

"Do you remember as a child when we looked at the stars at night and the clouds during the day on the roof of the house and looked for the pictures they formed. Sagittarius." Evelyn spoke quietly and pointed to the cloud that Sagittarius formed from cotton balls.

Elliot slowly raised his eyes to the sky and looked at the clouds and spotted Sagittarius who was formed by the clouds, a smile came to his face and he laughed.

Evelyn turned her head towards her brother who was staring at the sky, his hair a mess and his sleeves rolled up he wiped his face which was dirty from his hands.

"I always wanted to find my prince and not be forced to. I've only known Alec for a couple of days and I think I have a crush on him, but he doesn't want me around because he's afraid I'll be a target too." Evelyn started to tell and Elliot turned his eyes from the sky to his sister whose eyes were red and shining green.

Elliot felt the flames of anger rise in his body but shook them off, the sympathy he felt for his sister overpowering the anger. He felt like going back and yelling at the witch boy, but he looked at his sister and smiled.

"Give him time, if he's the one and feels the same, he'll come to you." Elliot spoke softly and took his sister's hand. "Like in the fairy tales that mother told us when we were little." Evelyn answered and Elliot rolled onto his back next to his sister.