Chapter Eight🌹

Weeks passed and Evelyn didn't see the twins except at church on Sundays, she couldn't talk to Alec in front of her father's watching eyes, so she listened to her brother

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Weeks passed and Evelyn didn't see the twins except at church on Sundays, she couldn't talk to Alec in front of her father's watching eyes, so she listened to her brother. She did housework with her brother and went to the village to get things for her mother. She spent her free time in the meadow and by the river. Alec was never seen in the meadow.

Summer arrived and the weather gets warmer, she spent many evenings until late at night on the river. Her father didn't like the idea of being out late especially after dark because of the wolves and other wild animals. So she started escaping from her window every night.

One day she was in the village to get herbs for her mother who had forgotten before. She had taken detours and daydreamed before reaching the village.

On the detour home, she stopped by the roses and smelled their lovely scent. "Sister, mother sent me to find you, you've spent half the day looking for the herbs she needs." Elliot spoke behind her with a grin on his face and Evelyn turned around to look at her brother.

She was about to open her mouth to speak in defense but was interrupted by a piercing scream. Evelyn's and Elliot's heads turned in a flash in the direction of the scream.

They jogged to the other side of the bridge and saw the twins standing there staring at the group carrying the young boy in their arms. "Help!" The woman screamed.

Elliot ran to the woman who put the boy on the ground. Blood covered the woman's dress and the boy. Evelyn stepped closer, looking expressionless.

She looked at a boy of about twelve who was covered in blood and was a pale in the face. The woman must have been his mother and cried out in a bloody murderous scream, crying. More of the villagers arrived and a shout in the distance caught Evelyn's attention.

"Those witches are responsible for the boy's death, they made some blood sacrifice." A boy her age shouted and pointed at the twins. She watched as the other two boys came around the boy and yelled at the twins "Witch twins!" Alec and Jane looked shocked at the boys in front of them and backed away.

Evelyn quickly turned her gaze back to the woman who was telling the two men that the wolf had attacked her son. Evelyn's head snapped and she saw red, she dropped her basket from her hand and balled her hands into fists.

Like a predator stalking its prey, she approached the three teenagers and the twins. Alec had put Jane behind him to protect his sister but looked shocked at the boys in front of him. One of the boys shouted in front of Alec and was about to punch him but Evelyn quickly blocked his fist. Her height and every fistfight with Elliot has taught her to defend herself.

The boy in front of him looks surprised at the red haired girl's intervention and so do the twins behind the girl. Evelyn stood directly in front of the boy and looked him in the eyes. "Darling it's so sad that you've been taught to bully others who don't deserve it, Alec and Jane haven't done anything to that boy, he died from injuries caused by a wolf. They haven't done anything to anyone and they're not witches, you must be brave because you bully the weaker and different than you are, but you're just insecure and try to replace the bond with bullying. Which is really pathetic!" She yelled in the boy's face.

The boy's surprised expression changed and he stepped closer to the girl. "Go to hell witch!" He yelled and Evelyn felt the anger rise and saw flames in her eyes. Without blinking, her fist swung and hit the boy squarely in the nose, knocking him to the ground.

The other two beside him backed away and Evelyn screamed. "You're pathetic! Maybe you're a witch yourself and you're trying to accuse others of being witches!" She screamed and the boy stood up, backing up, holding his bleeding nose.

"Maybe I'm a witch and I'm cursing you. I suggest you watch your back when you're walking home alone in the dark." Evelyn said lowering her voice and the boys backed up with every step the girl took towards them.

"Evelyn." Elliot warned and stepped in front of the girl.

"If you ever come near the twins or bully them again I'm going to come after you!" Evelyn screamed and tried to get past her brother who was holding her back.

The trio backed away and started running towards the village. "Crazy bitch!"

"Aye, come to say that on my face, you coward!" She screamed in rage and Elliot held onto her.

"Evelyn walk away now." He seriously warned his sister and looked at the twins who were staring with wide eyes and the group around them went to take the dead boy away.

Evelyn freed herself from her brother's grip and tossed her hair and grabbed the basket from the ground and began to dash towards home. Elliot looked at the twins behind him who were staring in place speechless and he started walking after his sister.

Their father, who had also come to see what happened after hearing the screams, crossed his arms and stared at the twins.

"See who she inherited her anger problem from." Their mother spoke next to her husband who took a step forward. "Give them mercy." She pleaded looking at her husband who sighed.

                                  ✿✿✿

Evelyn flung open the front door and entered the house, which was empty. She threw the basket on the kitchen table and put a cloth around her, tieding it as the door opened again.

Her brother walked into the kitchen and looked at his sister. They stared at each other and Elliot's expression softened and he began to laugh. "That was awesome! Did you see the look on their faces?" He laughed and Evelyn shook her head.

"Everyone thinks I'm crazy but I stood up for Alec and his sister they don't deserve it." Evelyn spoke quietly and started chopping vegetables.

She quickly chopped the carrots and other vegetables into the pot and Elliot peeled the potatoes, they made dinner in silence as their parents were nowhere to be seen.

"I thought mother was home when she asked for herbs." Evelyn broke the silence and Elliot hummed. "She was when I went looking for you." He answered while looking through the window at Edward playing in the yard.

He turned to look at her sister's back and tapped his fingers on the kitchen counter silently thinking about the next words he was going to say out loud. "You know father will hear about this." He started and Evelyn turned around to look at her brother with a worried expression. "I know and I take responsibility and the consequences, he won't like it how he told me to stay away from the twins and I did the opposite." Evelyn explained and looked into her brother's eyes who nodded.