Chapter Nine🌹

The pots are simmering on the fire and Evelyn leans on her hands and looks out the window, dreaming

The crash brought her back to reality and she turned eyes to her mother who was placing the pots on the table. Her brothers and father went to the table and started putting soup on their plates.

Evelyn watched as the vegetables, potatoes and meat dripped onto her plate as her mother scooped it up with a ladle.

The three of them had eaten dinner yesterday because their parents had been out late. Now the whole family is sitting at the table and Evelyn can't help but think about yesterday.

Their father stared at the older siblings in turn, well aware of yesterday's events. He leaned on his hands and watched the siblings eat the soup.

After a moment of silence, Evelyn got up and went out while her mother stayed behind to do the dishes. She stretched out her hands and let the summer wind blow on her face.

A thunderous crash was heard behind her and she turned to look at the situation. Their father held Elliott's hand and dragged him into the yard, an angry look on his face he yelled at the boy and stopped to look at his daughter.

"You!" He exclaimed and Evelyn took a step back.

"I told you to stay away from those damn witch twins! What did you do yesterday, cause an incident and yell at the boy who called you a witch to curse him!" His father yelled and waved his arms in the air and Elliot backed up next to his sister.

"Father." Evelyn started but was rebuffed by her father.

"Be quiet!"

"When I command you obey, you stay away from those witches. Now in the village you are mistaken for one of them because you defended them, I had to correct your mistakes yesterday." He stepped closer to his daughter.

"Father they are not witches!" Evelyn exclaimed.

A slap was heard and Evelyn backed away towards her brother with her hand on cheek and looked at their father with wide eyes.

She tasted blood on her lips and touched it with her finger.

"Father!" Elliot exclaimed, holding his sister in his arms.

"Be quiet. Is that clear?" He asked one last time and Evelyn gave a small nod.

                                 ✿✿✿

Evelyn sat on her bed in the twilight, staring at the dark ceiling of her room, drawing patterns in the air that she did every night before falling asleep. Tears fell from her eyes.

She heard a voice from outside her window and wiped her eyes slowly getting up. With small quiet steps, she approached the small window and turned head, looking for something an arm's length away.
Evelyn took a deep breath and pulled open the curtains.

She breathed out and leaned one hand on the wall by the window, holding a hand to her chest. Pushing the window open, she took a deep breath.

"Alec, what are you doing here?" She whispered, looking in surprise at the brown haired boy who was pointing a finger at his mouth.

"I'm coming up."

He climbed the ladder and Evelyn backed up and closed the door to her room.

She watched Alec climb out of the window, he didn't have a coat on and Evelyn wondered how long he had been standing in the rain of a summer evening, he brushed his hair from his forehead with his hand and stared at the girl.

"I know it's late and I told you last time to stay away from us and we haven't talked in weeks but I can't be apart from you." He explained carefully.

"How did you know where my window is?" She asked crossing her arms over her chest.
Alec gave a small chuckle before answering. "Honestly I was scared your father would catch me but I wanted to see you and your brother almost gave me a heart attack in the yard but after minutes of angry staring he told me." Alec explained, putting his hands in his pockets.

"I also came to thank you, how you defended me and Jane." He spoke and looked into Evelyn's eyes, which felt wonderful after a long time. Evelyn stared at Alec in silence for a moment. Their gaze was lustful on both sides.

Alec's expression moved across her face and he frowned. "W-what happened to your lip? And have you been crying?" His eyes widened and he looked at the girl's face with concern.

Evelyn took a deep breath and opened her mouth to close it again. Alec stepped closer and placed a hand on her cheek, lifting the girl's head up. "What happened my flower?" He asked, searching her eyes for an answer.

Evelyn was carefully considering her next moves which her body seemed to make before she thought. She grabbed Alec by the collar of his shirt and pulled him closer to connect their lips.

His body was cold from the night rain and the wind that was outside when he had been walking. But his lips felt warm. Alec froze in place, surprise taking over his body and he stared wide eyed. Evelyn placed a sweet kiss on Alec's lips and pulled back, opening her eyes. A smile came to her face as she looked at Alec's surprised expression.

Alec opened his mouth but close it again raising his hand to his lips, staring at the girl in front of him. He felt a blush rise to his cheeks.

Evelyn's smile widened at the reaction she got from the boy and she bit her lip and looked Alec in the eyes.

Alec was speechless.

"I..I... You know we can't be together, your father won't accept it because he wants a rich man for you and I'm not that."

She felt her heart stop and a smile fell from her beautiful face.

In the midst of her crush, she had forgotten about forced marriages when she came of age, and how her father told her to stay away from the twins. She had completely forgotten how she can't be with Alec or ever marry him.

Alec stepped closer and raised his hand to caress the girl's face gently. Evelyn leaned into his arm and closed her eyes.

"My father saw when I defended you, he was angry and hit me." Evelyn said carefully opening her eyes and looked the boy in the eyes.

"But I want to be with you." She whispered softly which Alec almost didn't hear.

Alec closed his eyes and took a deep breath, opening his eyes again blue eyes meeting emerald ones, where the gaze disappeared in an instant. He stroked the girl's face and whispered.

"See you tomorrow at the river?" He spoke softly and Evelyn hesitantly stepped further away.

"See you in the morning?" She said and Alec nodded, packing for the window.

Evelyn walked to the window and watched Alec walk from summer night, his disappearing figure in the tree line. Alec's smile never faded as he thought about the kiss. Oh Evelyn how beautiful she is.

She threw herself back on her bed with a glow on her face, dreaming of Alec.

Elliot who had walked straight to his sister's door listening, leaned against the wall and stared into the void, thinking.