Chapter Five

To: juliethegreat14@mail.com

From: amy_monroe@mail.com

Subject: Hey back

Dear Juliet,

I have that shirt, but I got it in an extra small by accident. Maybe it'll fit you since your boobs aren't as big as mine ;) JK, we all know you'd win that contest. Have you met any guys?

Your Beautiful and Perfect Cousin,

Amy

I got out of the shower and put my hair back in a bun before pulling on a black skirt and a pink tank top. Every part of me wanted to rebel and wear jeans instead, but that would probably get us all in trouble. I didn't bother with makeup. I wasn't trying to impress anyone.

I went down the hall and knocked gently on Cara's door. She slipped out into the hallway. "Ready for some fun?"

"You mean hell?"

She laughed. "Amanda had better be there, too. If she isn't, it would be like feeding us to the wolves."

"And she wouldn't do that to us? Why do they call her a pledge mom if she's going to treat us like crap?"

Cara locked her door. "I don't think they're usually like this. Amanda's just a bitch."

"Aren't we lucky?"

We met up with Mallory and headed to the Kappa house. Amanda waited outside. "Good, you all followed instructions."

I wanted to say something like, "Yes, we can handle dressing ourselves," but I kept that to myself.

"You all look so uptight. This is going to be fun."

"Great," one of the other girls, Claire, said with enthusiasm. Suck up.

We walked inside, and the muscle guys from the night before waited along with another dozen guys who looked just like them.

Guy number one smiled. "Welcome, welcome."

We tentatively moved toward the center of the room. Even Claire slowed down a little. The house was trashed. I had a feeling our job would be to clean it. Now the skirt part made sense. We'd be bending over a lot to clean. Fabulous.

I was trying to brainstorm a plausible way out of spending the day as a maid when Mr. Baseball Cap stood up, only he wasn't wearing his hat. He had dark brown, longish hair and these piercing green eyes I hadn't been able to see in the darkness of the laser tag room. "Hi, girls. It's so nice of you to join us today."

I snorted. That was a bad idea because every single guy turned to look at me.

"Hi, there." Mr. Baseball Cap closed the distance between us and held out one of his large hands. "Great to see you again, Annie. I'm Reed, by the way."

Amanda made a really fake forced laugh. "That's actually Juliet. She's quite the comedian."

"Juliet?" His eyed widened slightly. I knew what was coming next. "Have you found a Romeo?"

Original. So original. I forced a laugh of my own. "No, not yet."

"Good luck with that," Reed said over his shoulder as he walked away.

When he reached the front of the room, he started up again. "I'm sure you're wondering what kind of work we have for you, and the answer is a little of everything."