Chapter Fifteen

To: amy_monroe@mail.com

From: juliethegreat14@mail.com

Subject: The meaning of life

Dear Amy,

College is nothing like I expected. I'm still not sure if that's good or bad.

Your 'Maybe I should be a Philosophy Major' Cousin,

Juliet

"What do you want to do Saturday night?" Dylan ran a hand through my hair as we lay in his bed. For once, he hadn't fallen asleep. It was already late September, and I couldn't quite accept it. The semester was flying by.

"Saturday? I have a mixer that night."

"Mixer?" He tensed. "With what house?"

"Kappa."

His face crinkled up in distaste. "You can't go to that."

"Does that mean you're skipping the mixer you guys have with the Sigmas on Friday?"

"No. I have to be there. I'm the fraternity president."

I moved out of his arms. "It's okay for you to go to a party with another sorority, but I can't go to one with a different frat?"

He reached out to me. "It's different. I can keep girls off me. You can't keep guys away. Besides, I already told you why I have to go."

"I'm a pledge. I have no choice."

He didn't say anything for a moment. "If I agree to skip mine, would you skip yours?"

"I thought you couldn't miss it."

"I can if I'm out of town."

"Out of town?" I let him pull me back into his arms.

"Yeah. Let's go out to the beach. We could use some time away."

"I'll see if I can get excused."

"I'll take care of it."

"How?"

He smiled. "It won't be a problem."

***

The relaxation I always felt on the drive to the beach set in as soon as we turned onto Main Road. Nothing drastically changed at that spot. We still passed occasional restaurants, stores, and plenty of cars, but it was always the point where I said to myself, "I'm on vacation."

"Would you mind if I turned off the AC?" I was dying to roll down my window. We were still over twenty minutes from the beach, but I wanted the fresh air.

"Sure." He reached over at the same time I did. I moved my hand, letting him hit the button. He took my hand in his before opening my window for me. I looked outside, loving how familiar everything was. I'd been going to the beach for longer than I could remember. No matter what else was happening in life, my family always went for at least two weeks every summer, and usually a few other times during the year.

"What are you thinking about?" Dylan rested our entwined hands on my leg.

"Just how much I love the beach." We were getting closer. The dense canopy of leaves created by the live oaks managed to block out most of the sun, but it did nothing for the humidity. I didn't mind.

"Me, too. My dad actually talked about selling our place a few years ago, but I talked some sense into him."

"How'd you manage that?"