Chapter Twenty-Six

"Nineteen wasn't a big birthday the last time I checked." I set aside my history book.

"Any birthday is a big birthday. Well, until thirty, then it goes downhill. Or that's what my mom says." Mallory continued browsing the dresses in my closet.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm all about going out, I just don't want you guys to feel like you have to make a big deal of it."

"You made a big deal out of mine." Cara smiled. I had a feeling she was daydreaming about Aaron.

"What time are we going?" I joined Mallory at my closet. I had no clue what to wear.

"Nine. And I think you should wear this one." Mallory held up a simple, black halter dress. It was short, but not too short.

"I was going to pick that one."

"Great minds think alike."

I laughed. "That they do."

I had just put away my makeup bag when my phone rang. I didn't recognize the number, but based on the extra digits, I had a suspicion about who it might be.

"Hello?"

"Juliet, hey. Please, let me talk."

Cara and Mallory waved as they slipped out of the room.

I realized that I was over being angry with her. Besides, I'd missed hearing her voice. "Hi, Amy."

"I'm sorry. I messed up, but I was only trying to help you."

"I get that, and I forgive you. But next time, let me handle it myself." I'd always gone to Amy for advice about everything. It was time I grew up and figured things out on my own.

"Sometimes I forget you're not a little kid anymore."

"I'm not. I'm sure I'll keep making mistakes, but they're mine to make."

"He's a good guy," she said nervously.

"Are you trying to push your luck?"

"It's true. I think he really cares about you, and if you love him, you should give it another chance." She sounded sincere, as if she really believed it.

I sighed. "I'm glad you called, Amy. I really am, but I don't want to talk about Reed."

"Happy birthday."

"Thanks, I wasn't sure if you remembered what day it was."

"Of course I did. I miss you. Maybe you can come out here when I have my time off."

I laughed. "We'll see about that."

"Take care of yourself."

"You too. Love you."

"Love you too, Juliet."

I set aside my phone with a mix of emotions. It was great talking to Amy, but I hated how she made me think about Reed even more than I already did.

***

The club was packed. After waiting in line for what felt like forever, we got in.

"What do you guys want to drink?" Cara asked.

"Just a beer for me." I still didn't love getting drunk. I liked being in control, and I couldn't do that if I had more than a few drinks. I'd learned that the hard way at one of Reed's date parties. He'd been there to take care of me, but I'm pretty sure I ended up dancing on a table. After that incident, I'd discovered that I could nurse a beer a lot longer than anything else.