Chapter Twenty-One

To: juliethegreat14@mail.com

From: amy_monroe@mail.com

Subject: Hey back

Dear Just Juliet,

I knew it would.

Almost Amy.

I looked up from my history book again. It was six o'clock on a Thursday night, and Al's was still empty. Reed looked so damn good in the red Lacoste shirt. It clung to his chest, showing off every muscle. He'd come straight from volunteering at the high school and hadn't bothered to change.

He caught me looking. "Is there a particular reason you're staring at me?"

"No. I'm just looking."

"Just looking? Be careful, or I'm going to have to start charging for that privilege."

I laughed. "It might be worth it."

"Wait...are you actually flirting with me?"

"Who me?" I pointed at my chest.

"Yes you." He set aside his book.

"I have a favor to ask."

"Oh, now the truth comes out." He stretched, leaving his hands behind his head for a moment.

"Is there any chance you might want to come to my semi-formal with me?" I was asking for two reasons. First, I needed a date. Second, I wanted Reed to be my date. I was done denying the second part. "Airplane gazing" had made that impossible.

He grinned. "Wow, flirting and asking me out."

"Come on. It doesn't have to be a big deal."

"I don't know."

My heart sank. Seriously? He didn't want to go with me? Had I completely misread the signs?

"You can wipe that devastated look off your face. I didn't say I wouldn't come. I just have a condition."

"Oh?" I asked hopefully.

"I'll go to yours if you'll go to mine."

"Isn't yours in Savannah?"

"Uh huh. This coming weekend."

"Isn't it too late? I thought you had to book rooms over a month ago." I knew all about it from Cara.

"Nope. We can get double beds and share a room."

"Oh." The thought of a weekend in a room with Reed made my body temperature rise a few degrees-even if we'd be in separate beds.

"Do we have a deal?" He held out his hand.

I made a split second decision. "Yes." I accepted his hand, and we shook on it.

"Nice. It'll be great to have the company." He winked.

"Is there anything in particular I need to bring?"

He wore an amused expression. "Other than a dress and yourself?"

"Yeah."

"Oh. It's only one night, so you don't need much."

"Gotcha."

"So I'll pick you up on Saturday morning then?" He stood up, probably to start some prep in the kitchen.

"Yeah, that sounds great. Wait, I'm meeting with a study group at ten. Should I cancel or-"

"We can leave later. It doesn't really matter."