Chapter Twenty

To: amy_monroe@mail.com

From: juliethegreat14@mail.com

Subject: Hey

Dear Amy,

Things are looking up.

Just Juliet

"I like the ponytail." Reed tugged on the end of my hair to make his point.

"I figured I'd blend in better this way."

"You're not going to blend in, but I like the look."

I glanced down at my worn out hooded sweatshirt and jeans. "This is the real me."

"I know, and it's nice." He pulled away from the curb.

"Where are we going exactly?"

"A field in North Charleston. It won't take too long."

"And who are we playing with?" Surprisingly, I hadn't questioned that yet.

"It's mostly Al's friends and a few guys I went to high school with."

"Does that mean Al's going to be there?"

Reed turned. "Yeah. Is that a problem?"

I remembered how awkward our first meeting had been. "I don't think I made the best first impression."

"Yeah you did. He thought you were cute and humorous."

"Humorous?"

"Yes. Evidently you were funny before I got there."

"Not intentionally," I mumbled.

Reed must have heard me because he laughed.

I tried not to get too nervous about playing a game I'd never played with a bunch of older guys, but it was a little bit intimidating.

Reed pulled into a parking lot, and I prepared myself. By the time I got out, Reed already had a black bag slung over his shoulder.

I pointed to the bag. "What's in there?"

"My equipment."

"Was I supposed to bring my own?"

Reed laughed. "Yes. I expected you to buy your own equipment in less than twelve hours." He shook his head. "I have gear for you."

I followed him over to where a group of guys waited. Al noticed us and took a few steps toward us. "You brought Juliet?"

What? Al didn't know I was coming?

Reed didn't seem concerned about his uncle's reaction. "She's our secret weapon. Trust me on this."

I grabbed Reed's arm. "Secret weapon?"

He grinned. "That's what you are."

After introducing me to his other teammates and the guys we were playing against, Reed sat down on a bench and unzipped his bag. I got even more nervous. All but two of them were dressed head to toe in camo. What the hell had Reed gotten me into?

I watched in disbelief as they all pulled out guns, ammo, and other things I couldn't name from their bags.

"Heads up." Reed tossed me a pair of goggles.