Chapter 24: The Beginning of a Legacy

"Scars tell us where we've been, they don't dictate where we're going."

~Unknown

"And so now I'm here." I finished explaining. I had told him everything. The abusive adoptive father, the Daniels family, the kidnapping, the torture. All of it. And let me tell you, it was a damn good feeling to get it off my chest.

"Wow... And I thought my story was bad." Lucas mumbled.

"Yeah. And uh, what time is it? I need to report into S.H.I.E.L.D or they'll think something went wrong." I asked while trying to sit up.

"It's six. And you need to rest." He persisted. He placed both of his calloused hands on my shoulders and lightly made me lay back down.

"I just need my watch." I pointed to the item on the bedside table.

"Alright..." he trailed off due to confusion. I grabbed it and pressed a button on the side. A hologram appeared and I put my thumb up to it. It scanned and the blue screen turned green in confirmation.

"That's all I needed to do." I sighed.

"I want one." He was sitting with his mouth opened, pointing at the blue lit screen.

"Then join S.H.I.E.L.D. We could use someone with your skill. Plus, we need a swordsman. We have an archer, a guns man- woman, and the knife and poison expert." I looked at him pointedly.

"Who are they?" He asked.

"Well, you have Mr. B, I can't disclose names or I'd have to kill you. He's the archer. Ms. R is the guns woman, well, hand to hand expert as well. Lastly, you have me."

"Wait... your a poison and knife expert?" I let out an amused half smile at his question.

"Well, back at STAR they had me use poison because it was easy for a kid to ask for a glass of water, I'd just slip a few drops of poison into theirs. And as for the knives... I don't know, I just have always liked them." I explained.

"Huh... yeah. After the Old Man trained me, I just always liked swords." I nodded. Lucas stood up and started for the door. "I'll let you rest." He spoke as we walked to the door.

I finally took time to let my eyes embrace my surroundings. White crown molding with intricate detail surrounded the ceiling, a bookshelf that was filled with books was on one of the walls. Another wall had a window with a bench right under it. The bed I was on had curtains hanging from the four posts protruding from the wooden frame. Overall, this looked very expensive.

"Wait. Where are we?" I looked to Lucas who was standing in the doorway with a smirk.

"Well, my place of course." He walked through the door frame and shut the door. I shook my head in amusement.

"Of course it is." I murmured to myself. I pulled the covers up to my chin and tried to sleep. For once, I felt myself starting to doze off.

-----

I heard a slight shuffle next to me making my eyes open. I panicked a bit, I had forgotten I was at Lucas's house.

"Hey, I didn't mean to wake you. I just wanted to see how you were doing." He spoke softly. I shrugged my shoulders.

"Eh, my back is a bit sore." I breathed.

"That'd be expected. You were shot," his voice was light and upbeat, joking. I nodded, my face void of emotion. I saw Lucas's eye brows furrow in confusion.

"What's wrong?" He questioned. I knew what he meant. I wasn't smiling like I was before last night, I wasn't the person he met.

"The whole 'Alex' thing was a cover. This is me. Part of being undercover is being able to get people to believe your emotions. I learned how to do that when I was five, so I'd say I'm pretty convincing." I shrugged.