Chapter 25: Really?

"I guess once you've been scared by something- really scared- it just sticks with you."

~Andrew Wilder

~•~•~

~•THIRD PERSON•~

The woman silently picked the lock of the back door. With a click she knew she was in and would soon apprehend the target.

"I'm in." She whispered into the comm. She crept through the halls and up the flight of stairs. She was silent until she came upon the creaky floorboard. She paused for a moment to make sure no one had heard her. When she was sure no one was awake, she opened a door to the left. She smiled in contentment; she was there.

~•Allie's POV•~

The walls were closing in, my breathing becoming more labored. As the men left the room I slumped on the bed with no more hope left within me. Before I knew what was going on everything was dark.

I was ripped from my nightmare with a jolt: I was being grabbed. I let out a yell as the hands were on my side. My hair was in my face so I couldn't identify who it was. The soft smell of women's shampoo gave me slight relief, barely any, that it wasn't a man who was grabbing me. The door slammed open. Several grunts sounded before I had been able to find out what was going on. My hair had cleared from my eyes and it only took me milliseconds to recognize who it was.

"Natasha?!" The two bodies went still, both breathing with effort. Nat's red hair was slightly messy from fighting with Lucas and her body was still in a defensive position. Lucas, well, he just looked purely angry. However, the anger in his eyes started to subside after he saw that I recognized her.

Natasha, being the spy that she is, took the advantage of my distraction to bring Lucas to the floor by sweeping his legs out from under him. He fell to the floor with a hard thud, and at this point I heard someone else coming up the stairs.

"Did you being a whole team with you?!" I yelled to her. She quickly looked at me and shook her head.

"James is outside. I had him track you after you never showed up at your place. I-" she was cut off by the sound of the door opening. What I least expected came through: Robert with a shotgun.

"Hey, we're ok. Just a misunderstanding." I was standing now with my hands out in front of me. Robert eyed the groaning Lucas as he writhed on the floor.

We all stood looking at each other. I was looking between Nat and Lucas, Nat sharing looks between me and Robert, and Robert sparing looks between Nat and Lucas. I stared pointedly at Natasha.

"You, me, outside. Now." I growled and gave her a stern look that rival hers. We left the room and I had to refrain myself from slamming the door. "What the hell is all this?" I practically yelled. "I'm gone for one day, one day, and here I am, with a friend on the floor in there almost unconscious and my best friend did it to him." I huffed in frustration. "Just when I thought I had it together..." I mumbled to myself.

"It wasn't the fact that you were gone a day, it was the fact that you met someone new and the day after you see him you disappear." After a second's silence I came to a realization.

"You don't trust me..." Nat knew this wasn't a question.

"Wh-"

"Don't give me that shit." I snapped. "You hear that I'm not showing up and you freak, but when it happens to someone else you're fine. Say it was Thompson, would you try and 'save him'?" The muffled voices of Robert and Lucas was the only sound filling the dark hallway for a few minutes.