CHAPTER 8 - Slow Recovery

Woody, Flower in hand, rushed down the hall towards the infirmary. They came to a door marked with the same red cross that was on Gelatin's bag. The two looked at each other before opening the door and entering.

Inside the infirmary was a sprawling field of beds, stretching to both ends of the room. Gelatin was at the far east end, with Bubble and Teardrop on the beds next to him. There were people scattered across the room, with a few doctors here and there checking up on them. From where Woody stood, he could see Gelatin, two tall figures - one with dark bangs covering his face that was seemingly floating off of the ground, and the other with large, green, poofy hair, a goatee, tan skin, and glasses - both on the west end, and a short figure with light blue hair tied back in a bun working near the middle of the room.

As Woody and Flower made their way towards Gelatin, the door slammed open, and a girl ran in, wearing a dark blue hoodie with silvery hair tied into a ponytail. She ran over to Bubble's bed and started yelling very loudly.

"Gelatin! What happened?!" Gelatin looked a bit startled as he started trying to explain.

"F-Fanny! Hey! Um, well, you see, obviously we just got... attacked. I'm sure you figured that out."

"Of course I did! What happened to Bubble?!"

"Oh, Bubble! Right... well, she kind of... got... shot." Gelatin backed away a bit as the girl, evidently Fanny, started screaming.

"She what?!? How could you let this happen to her?!" She grabbed Bubble's hand, still screaming. Bubble had woken up from the noise, and was trying to calm Fanny down, but she wouldn't. As she kept screaming, Woody and Flower made their way over. Fanny noticed their presence, turning on her heels, still fuming. "And who are you?"

"I'm Woody. The... the prisoner."

"The prisoner?" Fanny looked at him before looking at Flower, then realized what they were wearing: uniforms from the opposing side. From the X army. Woody's espionage uniform, Flower's scientist uniform. "Did you bring them here?!" Fanny tried to charge at the two, but Gelatin grabbed her by the arm.

"Don't make me freeze you again, Fanny! We talked about this! We can't be attacking people randomly!" Fanny backed away from the two before sitting on a vacant bed.

"I... I know. I'm just really worried about Bubble." Gelatin nodded understandingly.

"I get it. You two are really close."

"Dating. We're dating, Gelatin." He nodded again.

"Makes sense." He turned back to the two patients, Bubble slightly awake, Teardrop completely passed out. Woody walked towards Teardrop's bed and sat down on the bed across from her. Flower stopped.

"I should probably get going. I need to make sure people know I'm here, to ensure no more..." She motioned towards Fanny. "Outbursts occur." Woody turned to her and nodded.

"Go. I'll see you later." Flower nodded in response, hurrying out the door. Woody turned back to Teardrop, sighing. "Gelatin, is everybody going to be okay?" Gelatin looked at him.

"Yeah, hopefully. Only if Black Hole, Tree, Ice Cube, and I can work hard enough. We're flooded." He gestured out towards the room. "This room has enough for maybe 50 people. 45 have been injured. It's gonna be hard. Thankfully nobody has died yet." He looked towards the ceiling, pounding his left hand on his chest twice. "It really is a miracle that we've been this lucky."

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Woody asked. Gelatin looked back at the patients.

"Not in here. You might be able to help out there. You look strong. Your friends blew a hole in the side of the ship." Woody nodded.

"Got it." He hopped up off of the bed and got out of the infirmary to go and help.