𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 - 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐡𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 17
                        3𝐫𝐝 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐩𝐨𝐯

                __________________

              __________________

— JASPER LEANED AGAINST HIS COUNTER, blinking rapidly when he saw a shadow out his window. He shook his head and forced his body to face away, ignoring the whispers of as the sun began to rise. The more spirits he saw, the more they would see him. He took a breath and grabbed his phone, clicking on one of the first contacts, his grams.

It didn't take long before she answered, "Jasper, honey! How are you? You don't call me enough."

"I know, I'm sorry grams." He apologized quietly, a firm grasp on his phone that tightened as his mind wandered to the spirits he'd encountered recently.

Save the medium, his mind repeated.

He heard grams shuffle for a moment before she spoke again, in a more serious tone, "Go on then. What's on your mind?"

He was silent for a moment, debating if he should really do this — tell her the nightmares of his childhood had returned. Finally, he took the dive. "You know how when I was young I could see and hear things? Things you said you could too?"

"Spirits." She spoke firmly, "Nasty things—"

"But not all of them are bad." He finished. "They... went away for a bit, or maybe I just got good at ignoring them I don't know but—"

"They're back?" She questioned.

"Yeah and I can't — I can't push them away this time." He resisted the urge to curse under his breath, taking a deep breath instead, "Am I going crazy? I feel like I should check myself into a psychiatric hospital."

"You're not crazy." She told him sternly, though it did little to calm his concerns. His grandma was quiet for a few moments before... "Did you know I had a brother?"

Jasper furrowed his brows, "I think mom's mentioned him once or twice."

"He could see things too, like me... like you. He couldn't take it, that damned house made him go crazy. All the spirits there..." he could practically see her as she shook her head, "Promise me you'll stay away from spirits and everything paranormal."

He frowned, his eyes narrowing slightly, "You don't." He pointed out in a light protest.

"You're not like me, Jasper." She told him gently, "You're like him."