Chapter 9

"Oh you wanna be friends with me that bad firecracker." "Why do you keep calling me that." Alex looked at her for a second before ignoring her question and getting up and heading to the kitchen. Hailee followed her, "Are you going to answer me or just keep ignoring me?" Alex opened the fridge grabbing a soda out, "You want one?" Hailee rolled her eyes as Alex shrugged her shoulders closing the fridge door and setting the soda down on the table in front of her. "No I don't want to be friends with you-" "Ooo that one even stung a little bit." Alex said dramatically grabbing her chest cutting Hailee off. "You know I didn't mean it like that." Hailee said laughing. Alex smiled as she got a sip of her soda, "You better get going it's getting late." Hailee pulled out her phone and checked the time, "It's only one." "Exactly, late." Alex said raising her eyebrows at Hailee playfully. Hailee chuckled before going back to the couch and sitting down truing the TV back on. The news came back up but thankfully the whole thing with her and Hailee was over and just the weather was on. Alex finished up her soda and threw it away walking back to the couch, "Um I usually leave for the gym around this time so if you wanna stay that's fine but I thought I would just let you know." Alex said as Hailee turned her head to look at her. "Do you mind if I just stay here?" Hailee asked as she put her hands in her lap. "No I don't mind as long as you don't destroy and burn the house down." Alex said standing up from the couch looking down at Hailee. Hailee smiled, "I won't." Alex eyed her before walking to her bed room and getting her workout clothes on. She slipped into some leggings and threw on a hoodie. She grabbed her phone and keys as she headed for the door. Alex opened the door but just before she stepped out she turned around and looked at Hailee who was just smiling mischievously at her. Alex narrowed her eyes at her before Hailee quickly said, "Bye." Alex waited a moment then quickly headed back inside and grabbed Hailee's hand forcing her to get up. "Noooo I don't wanna come." Hailee said groaning. "Well that's too bad I don't trust you here by yourself." Alex said closing the door behind her and locking it heading to her truck.

Alex pulled up to her gym and got out of her truck as Hailee got out right after her. "Why do I have to bee here and I forgot my phone at your house so now I am going to be miserable?" Hailee said groaning again as Alex practically pulled her along. "Listen it's only for a little bit I have class at 3:30 anyways." Alex said as she entered the gym. The woman behind the counter gave her a small welcoming smile as Alex walked in. Alex returned the smile and walked in with Hailee behind her.

   Alex laid down on the bench with the metal bar above her. She slid her hands into the cold metal as she gripped it with her fingers. Just before she lifted it she had a thought, "Hey Hailee could you come spot me?" Alex asked sitting up. Hailee looked at her from across the bench with a confused look. "Come here." Alex said smiling. Hailee gave a her a pouty look before standing up and walking over to Alex. "All you have to do is stand behind me and make sure I don't drop it on myself." Alex said looking up at Hailee. Hailee shook her head, "No I don't like that because what if you do drop it on yourself then what do I do?" Hailee asked freaking out a little bit. "Don't worry don't worry all you have to do is lift it up and if you can't do it there is plenty of people around I am sure could help." Alex said giving Hailee a reassuring smile. Hailee looked around at the few people lifting weights. "Fine" Hailee said as she stepped behind Alex and got ready to spot her. Alex put her hands back on the bar and slowly lifted the bar off the rack. Alex prepared herself just before she went down the weight of the bar was weighing heavily on her as she lifted it back up taking all of her strength. She did this a few more times forgetting Hailee was there. Once she was done she took a deep breath and looked up to see Hailee standing there with a shocked look on her face. "What?" Alex said looking around making sure there was nothing important happening. "No way you just lifted that much weight with ease." Hailee said bringing Alex's attention back on her. Alex sat up as a small smile grew on face, but she quickly wiped it off and turned and looked at Hailee. "Thanks but it was just 145 that's not even close to the world record." Hailee's eyes stayed on her for a second, "What's the world record." "605" Alex said as she stood up walking over to a leg press machine. Hailee quickly followed behind her, "You wanna do it?" Alex asked as Hailee looked at her with confusion, "Are you being serious?" "Yeah if you wanna do it go for it." Hailee sat down in the leg press. "How much." Hailee looked at her for a second before replying, "115" Alex nodded then went and grabbed the weights.

   Alex brought back the weights and put them onto the machine as she wiped some sweat off her forehead. As Hailee started doing leg press Alex decided to take off her hoodie leaving her in her sports bra. Hailee stopped for a second readjusting her feet as she took a glance over at Alex. Hailee instantly looked back at her feet and continued her leg press.

"What's next?" Hailee asked looking anywhere but at Alex trying to avoid eye contact. "If you want to I was thinking we could just do some curls and be done for the day." Hailee nodded her head and Alex started walking over to the dumbbells that were on a rack. Alex picked up two 30 pound weights and started curling them while Hailee grabbed two 20 pound weights. Once Alex got done with her first set she let the weights dangle at her side while she took a breath. Alex looked down at the ground but saw Hailee out of the corner of her eyes looking at her. Alex slightly lifted her head trying to get a good look at Hailee. Once she was able to see her she watched her eyes slowly trail down her body and back up it. A smirk grew on Alex's face before she looked up and made eye contact with Hailee. Hailee quickly looked away as they continued lifting.

Alex set the weights back down on the rack with a slight clank of the metal. She watched Hailee do the same then they both walked out as Alex waved to the lady of the front desk before leaving. Alex opened the door for Hailee as she got in. Alex ran around the truck and got in on the other side hoisting herself into her seat. "So where to now?" Alex asked as she closed her door and started her truck trying to get it warm as quick as possible. She threw her hoodie back on then looked over at Hailee, "Um back to your house so we can get my phone." Alex chuckled as she headed back towards her house.

Alex felt a buzz in her pocket she reached in and grabbed her phone, "Can you see who texted me?" Alex asked handing Hailee her phone. Hailee gently grabbed it out of her hand and read the text message, "It's from your mom and it says" Alex tensed up when Hailee said that it was from her mom, "Can I come by around six I want to talk." Alex took her eyes off the road for a second as she looked over at Hailee almost in awe. "Do you want me to respond?" Hailee said as Alex glanced from her to the road. "I will just do it later." "No I can do it now just tell me what you want me to say." "No Hailee-" "Alex just tell me-" "Hailee." Alex said firmly making her stop talking. Alex took a deep breath, "Sorry I just- I- Let's just say that I should be the one to respond to my mother." Hailee nodded as she set Alex's phone down on the consul between them. The rest of the ride home was pretty silent then another buzz came from her phone. Alex looked over at Hailee, "Could you-" "Yup" Hailee said before Alex could even finish her question. "This one's from Tracy saying Braden's here to talk to you." Alex pulled into her drive way then looked over at Hailee with a face of disbelief. Hailee looked at her then shrugged, "Sounds pretty important I'd go if I were you."