Chapter 19

Alex tried moving her arm once more but it didn't go anywhere. Alex looked down at her legs trying to very carefully lift one in the air. She tried as hard as she could but nothing moved. She started panicking but she couldn't move or get up to go get anyone, she would yell but that was one thing she did not have in her. She panicked quietly waiting for someone to come into her room and see her.

   After what felt like hours of panicking and waiting for someone to show up, a doctor walks through the door. She walks over to the monitor checking something on it, then nodding her head in an approval before walking to Alex and picking up the arm Alex was not able to move before. She picked it up with such ease so it's not that something's on it if she did it. The doctor nodded before walking out of the room not even saying a word to her or acknowledging that she was even there. Alex was almost in disbelief as she watched the doctor walk out. She even tried to call out to her but all that came out a a small whisper that wasn't even a word.

   Alex finally accepted that the doctor was never coming back so she rested her head on the back of the bed taking a few deep breaths trying not the think about her unmovable arms and legs. Suddenly the door came back open as she heard the sound of soft footsteps slowly walking over to her bed. They stopped right next to her bed and grabbed her hand. Alex instantly knew Hailee was the one standing by her bed. Her hand was unmistakable, it was warm and soft and gentle with how she handled Alex's hand. Hailee slowly caressed the top of Alex's hand with her thumb slowly rubbing it over her knuckles. Alex slowly fluttered her eyes open as she saw Hailee looking down at her with sad, red, puffy eyes. Her face instantly changed when she saw Alex's eyes open. Her mouth fell open forming a small o as she let go of Alex's hand and stepped back as Alex's hand fell back down on the bed beside her. "You're awake." She whispered feeling her eyes starting to water. Alex looked at her confused for a moment, "What?" "Alex-" Hailee got cut off as a doctor walked in seeing Alex awake then instantly sticking his head back outside the door as he yelled a few words that were muffled from the wall. He came back in as he rushed over to Alex. "What's g-" "Everything's going to be okay Alex." The doctor said as a few more doctors rushed in making their way to the side of their the pushed Hailee back and out of Alex's view. The doctors held her down as the carefully stuck a shot in her injecting her with some sort of fluid. "What is going on?" Alex asked keeping her voice calm and collected. All the doctors ignored her as the continued working on her by checking her pulse, looking over at a computer every once in a while, and tapping her with a small hammer trying to test her reflexes but of course due to her not being able to move her hands and legs she didn't have any. "I'm sorry what is going on?" Alex asked again seeing the doctors had ignored  her the first time. One of them looked up at her for a brief moment before quickly looking over at the computer screen as it beeped accordingly. Finally they all backed up almost in sync as they put their hands in the air like they had just been timed on one of those cooking shows you see on TV.

   Two of them walked out leaving the last one standing there looking at her almost as if he was confused himself. "So may I know what is happening now?" Alex asked as she heard Hailee's footsteps come closer until they were right next to her bed. She saw the doctor swallow hard before clearing his throat and starting his sentence. "So... you had lost a lot of blood from the last visit where that man did not treat you very well. So therefore you got really mad and overstimulated but when you mixed that with blood loss and a small sickness that can go a long way. And for your case it went as far as a stroke. After you fell over you immediately started having a stroke and Hailee here has brought you back instantly as we rushed you into here." The man took a deep breath as he clasped his hands together infront of her stomach. "So what were yall doing to me right then?" The man ran his hand over his dark haired buzz cut and took another deep breath. "We had to get some sort of fluids into you and we could only do so much when you were asleep so as soon as you woke up we came in here putting medicine in you and anything that could help with the dehydration and lack of blood." Alex nodded her head not really having anymore questions. "Oh and you will be able to go home once the test results come back." The doctor said answering an unsaid question. "Wait what are the tests for?" Alex asked as her confusion came back and she looked at the doctor. "Oh it was for a lot of different sicknesses just to make sure you won't be visiting back here for a while." The doctor said as he let a small chuckle escape his lips. "Well when will I be paying for it?" "Oh this woman right here has paid all of it for you." Alex nodded as the man quickly left having to tend to other patients. "Do you know how much that costs?" Alex asked turning to Hailee with wide eyes. "Yes I know." Hailee said shrugging it off like it was no big deal.  The doctor quietly made his way out not having other patients. "Hailee you did not need to do that this is my problem to deal with." Alex said still stunned by what Hailee did. "Well now it's as much of my problem as it is yours." Alex rolled her eyes, "Hailee I don't think you're getting the point. What's-" "No I think I get it just fine." Hailee said cutting Alex off as she stared at her with her mouth still formed as if she was going to speak.

   Suddenly Alex's phone started ringing on the table beside her as both their heads turned to look at it. "Do you mind?" Alex asked looking down at her hands then back up to her phone. Hailee didn't say anything as she nodded picking up the phone then answering it. "Hello. Yes she is right here. Of course hang on one second." Hailee took the phone off her ear as she held it up to Alex's. Alex sat there waiting for someone's voice to come over the phone. As soon as a voice came through Alex knew the high pitched voice all too well. "Um Tracy I don't think I will be able to come over for a while." Hailee heard Tracy's voice going on and on as she kept the phone up to her ear. "Um Tracy I'm sorry to cut you off but the doctors are here I gotta go." Alex looked at Hailee as she heard Tracy say a few more words then she hung up. Hailee set the phone back down on the table, "Doctor huh." "What I'm at the hospital it's a good excuse, and mind you this is the only time I would be able to use it." Hailee chuckled as Alex told her off.

   Once the laughing died down they sat there in silence for a moment. "Hailee what am I gonna do." Hailee opened her mouth to answer but a doctor came walking in as he held a clipboard in his hands, but this one is different from the last doctor. This man has longer brown hair but he still keeps it a clean cut, and his jaw line is so refined that it almost looks sharp. He looked up from his clipboard as he clicked his pen a few times. His eyes flicked from Hailee to Alex, "You know usually when I walk in tons of people bombard me with questions." They both looked at him for a moment longer as it became a little awkward. "So that means now is the time to ask questions." Alex didn't let Hailee speak as she got straight to the point, "Will I ever be able to walk or do normal things again?"