Chapter 21

Alex didn't know what to do or say as Hailee slowly got closer and closer. So many things were running through her mind until she turned her head away looking back up at the ceiling. She felt Hailee's arm around her loosen a little. After a little bit of awkward silence Alex finally found it in her to close her eyes and sleep.

  The next morning Alex woke up but quickly closed her eyes back as the early morning sun pierced through the curtains. Alex softly called for Hailee but there was no answer. Alex slightly opened her eyes seeing an empty spot where Hailee had laid last night. Alex took a deep breath remembering last nights events and how she turned away afraid of what might of happened. Alex softly called her name again before hearing some shuffling coming from downstairs. Alex let out a sigh of relief now knowing Hailee had not left. Alex looked around for a moment searching for a solution on how to get Hailee's attention. She saw her phone on her nightstand but no matter how hard she tried or how much she wanted to her arm could not move and grab it. "Hey Siri" Alex said as this was her last hope. She heard Siri do a little noise signifying that she was listening. "Call Hailee." "I'm sorry I can not find that name in your contacts." Siris vice said making Alex groan in frustration. "Call Firecracker" "I'm sorry I cannot call anyone until you have unlocked your phone with face recognition or your passcode." Alex let out a sigh as she lost hope in getting Hailee's attention.

Suddenly tue doorknob turned making a small clicking noise as Alex looked up seeing Hailee enter the room with a small tray. "You called?" "You got it" Alex said in astonishment. Hailee chuckled before setting the tray full of delicious food down on the beside table. "No I just heard you calling for Siri followed by Firecracker so I came." Alex smiled before quickly looking away breaking the eye contact she didn't realize they had held for so long. The bed dipped down beside her as Hailee sat down. "Ready to eat?" Alex looked from Hailee over to the food that filled her nose with sweet aromas. Alex nodded her head up and down eager to eat. Hailee giggled before grabbing a for then poking at one of the scrambled eggs in the plate and popping it into Alex's mouth as she chewed. "Sleep well?" Hailee asked as Alex looked up at her almost seeing a complete different person looking down at her. This one was tired and fatigued and needed sleep immediately. "I slept fine, did you sleep well?" Hailee shrugged looking back at the tray as she picked up a piece of sausage and let Alex bite it and start slowly chewing. "What's wrong?" Alex asked after quickly finishing her bite. "Nothings wrong I just couldn't sleep." Alex knew Hailee was lying but she didn't want to press her anymore about it as Hailee gave her some more egg. "I'm sorry to hear that." Hailee shrugged again, "It happens" Alex nodded understanding before Hailee put her hand under Alex's head and propped her up a little with some pillows. "Here this might help." Alex nodded her head trying to show her gratitude. Then Hailee brought a small cup to Alex's lips. As the liquid flooded down Alex's throat she could immediately tell that it was orange juice. It burned her throat a little but after some getting use to she was fine with it. Hailee set the cup back down going to grab the fork again before Alex stopped her. "Hailee" "Yeah?" Hailee questioned looking back down at her leaving her hands in her lap. "About how much sleep did you actually get last night?" Hailee looked at her as her face fell for a second but was quickly overtaken by a front. "Oh I don't know I don't really keep count of my hours." Alex nodded her head slightly as she eyed Hailee. "We better hurry and get ready your therapy is in a couple of hours." Hailee said shaking her head and quickly grabbing the plate from off the side table and swiftly walking out of the door. Alex's eyes lingered on the door as Hailee closed it behind her.

  Why is she acting like this? Was it because of last night?

  Alex looked up at the ceiling as a million thoughts flooded her mind. Is Hailee mad at me? Does she hate my guts? Does she wish she never met me in the first place? Alex lingered on the last question in her mind for a second. If Hailee had never met Alex then they wouldn't be in this whole mess......but Alex would still be in her mess with Brandon. Alex didn't realize how much Hailee had actually done for her. She practically saved her life. Alex laid there helpless while she waited for tears to find her but they never did instead she laid there staring at the ceiling eyes dry while she waited for Hailee to come back.

After a little while the door opened as Hailee entered to room dressed in jeans and a nice sweater. Alex looked at her for a moment before tearing her eyes away and back to the ceiling. Hailee set some clothes on the bed but Alex refused to look away from the ceiling. "These okay?" Hailee asked as Alex nodded her head. "You didn't even look at them." Alex took a deep breath. "They're okay" Hailee didn't say anything else she didn't even bother to nod her head as she walked over to Alex and sat her up against the pillows. Hailee grabbed her wrists and held them above her head with one hand as she took Alex's shirt off with the other. Alex didn't object or say anything she didn't even look her in the eyes because she was afraid of what she was going to find. Hailee set her hands back down once she got the shirt off. She threw the shirt on the floor out of the way as she grabbed what looked like a hoodie from what Alex could see. Hailee put Alex's arms through the arm holes then quickly slipped it over her head. Hailee slipped her hand behind her back and turned her to the side where her legs were dangling off the side of the bed. Hailee took off her pants quickly grabbing the joggers she had laid out for her on the bed. She slipped them onto Alex and then the shoes. Alex heard Hailee leave the room but she quickly came back setting something big onto the ground in front of her. Hailee then lifted Alex and set her into the wheelchair which was in front of the bed. Alex looked around for a moment feeling happy that she was finally able to be up. Hailee wheeled her out of the room heading down a hallway, "Wait I think my phone is still on the nightstand." Alex said before Hailee disappeared without another word. Hailee came back setting the phone under Alex's hands which were places in her lap. Hailee rolled her down the long hallway for a moment before coming to a stop in front of a door. A wave of confusion washed over Alex as she stared at the door. Hailee clicked a button as a light dinging noise came from it. Alex looked at it with even more confusion than before Hailee opened the door relieving an elevator. Hailee pushed her inside as they rode down in silence, the tension was so awkward that a knife could easily cut it. Once they got the first floor Hailee quickly rolled her out to her car setting her inside along with her wheelchair. Hailee went and got around on the other side before taking off to go to Alex's therapy