Chapter 27

Alex leaned against the table behind her crossing her arms as if she had been there the whole time. Hailee took a few steps back as she let her hands drop to her sides looking over at the door. Josh walked in as his car keys jingled from him unlocking the door. He looked over surprised to find another person here. "Who's this Hailee?" He asked walking over and grabbing her waist as he kissed her on the forehead. Alex brought her eyes to the ground as he did this as he still made her want to hurl. "Just an old friend." She heard Hailee respond making her a little upset but she couldn't say anything now not with a big guy like Josh in the room who would take her down in an instant. Alex put on a fake smile before looking up "Um well I better get going." Alex said uncrossing her arms and jamming her hands into her pockets. "Oh no you can stay." Josh said in a cheerful voice. "Oh no it's okay I need to get home anyways." Alex said keeping the fake smile plastered on her face. She got up from leaning on the counter and headed for the front door without even telling Hailee bye. Right now things were too complicated for a simple goodbye. Alex walked out the front door closing it behind me as she took a deep breath. She ran her hand through her hair as her heart shattered again just as it did when Hailee left before. She shook her head trying to clear her mind as she heard for her truck. She slowly got in as she turned the key starting up the engine. Alex pulled out and started driving but without any warning a tear fell down her cheek and suddenly more and more kept falling until she was sobbing. She sped up trying to get back to her house as quickly as possible. There was another car coming and a thought passed Alex's mind for a moment, to just let go of the steering wheel and crash. Maybe it would be for the better anyway.

   No one really cares about me anyway. Hailee has her boyfriend, Tracy and Lizzie have each other, my dad's gone, my mom is stupid.

   But suddenly the car was gone as it zoomed past her. She shook her head again trying to clear her mind. She pulled into her driveway quickly turning off her truck before getting out. She walked into her house to find Lizzie sitting on the couch with a smile on her face that quickly faded when saw the state Alex was in. Lizzie quickly got up engulfing Alex into a hug. Alex never gives in right away so she tensed up as Lizzie's touch. "Go home Lizzie." I said still crying. "No Alex not with the state you're in." Lizzie said keeping her arms around Alex. Alex finally felt frustration come over her as she stepped out of Lizzie's arms. "Go home!" She yelled at Lizzie making her slightly startled. Alex closed her eyes as tears poured down her face then suddenly she heard the front door open then close without another word from Lizzie. Alex slid down the wall as she sat on the floor with her knees curled up to her face. Suddenly her fingernails found the back of her neck as she scraped them across it feeling a slight burning sensation knowing she broke skin. The burning brought her mind away from the real problem and now just to the pain. Alex let out a little sigh of relief as she sat there on the floor leaning her head against the wall behind her.

   After a few minutes of sitting there Alex finally found it in herself to stand up still feeling a little lightheaded. She went into her bathroom splashing some water into her face. She slightly winced at the coldness of the water. She dried off her face as she looked in the mirror. She took a deep breath before quickly looking away as she opened her fridge. As she opened it she found a whole bottle of alcohol with a little note next to it. "Don't open until tonight." Alex said reading the note out loud. She crumpled up the note throwing it to the side. She grabbing the bottle quickly opening it as she got a swig. Alex felt the drink burn her throat all the way down to her stomach. It hurt a little but it helped her head so she kept drinking it. She walked over to the couch sitting down on it as she drank more of it. After about 30 minutes her head began feeling fuzzy as she looked down at the bottle and it was now over half empty. She took another swig before hearing a knock on the door. She rolled her eyes setting the bottle on one of the side tables. She groaned as she walked up to the door opening it seeing Hailee standing there. "Oh here she is the liar herself." She said slurring her words a little bit. Hailee furrowed her eyebrows as she looked at her. "Alex?" "No I don't wanna hear it from you." Alex said her head still feeling so fuzzy and she felt as if she no control over what she said or did it just happened. "You're drunk." Hailee said coming to a realization as she looked at Alex. "I'm not drunk. I don't drink." I said as my words came out more slurred. "Yeah right." Hailee said pushing past Alex into her house. "Oh great and now she's a trespasser as well." Alex said turning around. Hailee ignored her as she grabbed the bottle off the side table pointing to it as she looked at Alex. "Oh that's a friend's." Alex lied running her hand through her hair. "Oh look who's the liar now." Hailee said rolling her eyes. She took the bottle over to the sink dumping it out. Alex walked over to the sink as fast as she could trying to stop her but Hailee easily pushed her hand away. Hailee threw the bottle away before turning to look at Alex. Her nose scrunched up "Ugh you reek of alcohol." She paused taking in how close they were for a second before quickly pushing all those thoughts away right now. "You know I finally felt true happiness when I kissed you." Alex blurted out with a small smile making Hailee stand there for a moment more a little surprised. "Come on." Hailee said helping her walk to her bedroom. "Nooo I don't wanna go to sleep." She said fighting her. "Well that's too bad." Hailee said easily winning because of the state she was in.

   Hailee finally got me to the bed as she flopped down on it with a slight groan. "My music producer is stupid for not wanting to produce my song." Alex also blurted out still having no control of her words. Hailee looked down at her for a moment "Yeah they must be stupid." She whispered actually meaning it. She then helped Alex under the covers as she tucked her in. She rolled over onto my stomach as her hair fell off the back of her neck showing the scratches. Hailee gasped putting her hand over her mouth. "What happened Alex?" Alex started slightly snoring as she hadn't gotten that much sleep in a little while. Hailee sighed staring down at the scratches on the back of her neck with concern. She decided to let it go for now as she walked out of the room closing the door behind her.

   Alex's eyes popped open as she took in her surroundings quickly realizing she was just in her room. She went to sit up but her head quickly started pounding stopping her. She ran her hand over the back of her neck remembering the scratches as she ran her fingers over them.

   She finally forced herself to sit up as she rubbing her eyes. She had medicine in the kitchen that would help with her headache but that would mean she has to get up. Alex groaned before trying to stand up but before she could get to her feet Hailee came walking into her room. Alex looked up at her with wide eyes "What are you doing here?" Alex said in a slightly panicked yet tired husky voice. Hailee rolled her eyes setting the medicine and a glass of water down on the side table. Alex sat back down on the bed as she looked over at the medicine. She grabbed them both taking the medicine before gulping down some of the cold water feeling it go down her throat. She set the glass of water down as she looked up at Hailee who was standing there with her arms crossed. "Start from the beginning." Hailee said looking down at her.