Chapter 23

Dripping of water woke Mando with a start. Leaning up off a cold floor, he opened his eyes. A small hiss escaped his lips as he grabbed his head, it pounded something fierce. The noise around him made his headache worse. His eyes watered and he gave his head a quick shake. That was a mistake. Light flashed behind his eyes and the next thing he knew he passed out. The next time he woke up his headache was a dull pain. He slowly sat up, feeling his muscle ache from sleeping on the cold floor. Blinking a few times he looks around slowly. It was dark and cold, the air smelled earthy to him. The dripping he heard earlier was still going somewhere to the left of him. Where was he, he thought as he slowly stood up. The pain in his head grew a little and he touched where it hurt. A sharp pain made him winced. Where was his helmet? A small panic grew in him as he struggled to see in the dark. Not being able to see in front of him he gave a frustrated grunt.

The memory of Boba Fett and Fennec came rushing back to him. He remembered traveling to the old Hutt Palace. The bombshell that was told to him and the fight with Boba. Which resulted in him getting bested and knocked out. The anger came back to him. How could Boba and Fennec do this to him? To Grogu? Yes, Boba was a clone of Jango Fett but Jango was a Mandalorian. He knew how much Boba admired his father and how he learned combat/martial skills from him. Mando thought Boba and Fennec would of have a code of honor. Not betray him like they did. His thoughts went to Grogu. He knew the kid had special powers and trained with Luke Skywalker before he came back to him. The things he saw the kid do still boggled his mind. Grogu could be anywhere and with anyone. He didn't realize he was pacing in the room until a loud metal clunk came from across the room. A door opened and he shield his eyes from the blinding white light.

A ting came from above him and lights came on in the room. A soft pale light made it easier for his eyes to adjust from the brighter light from the door. Fennec stood there with a metal plate and a cup. Her face was unreadable as she enter the small room. There was a cot on the one side of the room which had his helmet on it, a toilet, sink and mirror. The room was windowless and had grimy metal walls. The floor was a piece of dirty slab. His eyes flicked to Fennec who cross the room and stood a near the sink. Four Gamorrean guards with spears came in and surrounded Mando. Mando tensed up, ready to fight when Boba Fett walked into the room. Boba looked tired and sad. He slowly walked to the cot and picked up Mando's helmet. Fennec passed the plate and cup to one of the Gamorrean guards who held it out to Mando. He glared at them all and slapped the items out of the guards hands. The guards squealed with anger and shoved there spears towards Mando.

"STOP!" Shouted Boba. The guards turned to look at there master and slowly back away. They glared back at Mando as the plate and cup stopped rattling on the floor. Boba stepped closer to Mando and gave a long sigh. "I understand you are up set, Mando. I can and will explain to you why we did what we did. Before you asked, yes Grogu is safe and is here in the palace." Boba turned to Fennec who looked bored. "Fennec. Bring Grogu." With a nod she left the room swiftly. Boba turned back to Mando with sadness in his eyes. He held out Mando's helmet who snatched it from him. Boba gave a short nod understanding the anger from Mando. "I'm sorry for what Fennec and I did. You are a good friend Mando. Th..." Mando kicked the cup hard which shot across the room and shattered against the opposite wall. "ENOUGH! I don't want to hear your apologizes. Give me the kid. I will deal with Fennec and you later." Mando snarled at Boba. Mando placed his helmet back on and before Boba could speak Fennec reentered the room with Grogu who cooed seeing Mando. He shot of her arms and Mando catched him in his. He looked the kid over who kept trying to touch is face. "Hey kid. Are you okay?" Grogu blinked at him and cooed again. His heart swelled as he ticked his cheek. Mando looked at the guards, ignoring Fennec and Boba. "Move....now." He growled. "No. You can't leave Mando. I need to explain." Mando rolled his eyes and pushed hard passed the guards who snorted angrily at him but didn't follow as he walked fast out of the room.

Too the right and left of him was a dimly lit hallway. He turned to the right and walked down the hall. Six guards came rushing towards Mando and Grogu. They held blasters and stopped near the two. Grogu gave a small giggle as he watched the guards. Mando turned his head and looked down the other hall. Six other guards came down that hall and made there way to them. There was no where for Mando and the kid to go. The guards to the left of them parted and Boba plus Fennec walked to Mando. Grogu put his little hand in his mouth and glanced up at Mando. Glaring at them all again, he sighed facing Boba. "Looks like I have no choice but to listen to you." He grunted at Boba. Nodding Boba started walking past Mando who sighed and walked with him. He heard footsteps behind him as he followed Boba. They enter the chamber with now Boba's throne. Boba walked to his throne and sat down. Fennec came into the chamber and sat beside him. The 16 guards stood behind Mando and Grogu. "Looks like you beef up security Boba. Paranoid?" asked Mando. Boba tilt his head slightly and smirked. "You know my line of work Mando. I can never have enough security." Fennec rolled her eyes at the two and adjusted her stance. "Boba enough of the small talk. Tell him what's going on and the plan." Boba nodded feeling a tiny embarrassed but would never admit to it. "There was a reason why we kidnapped Grogu. A man named General Hux and a Stormtrooper Captain came here yesterday. They demanded that I kidnap Grogu and you. Before you speak let me continue to explain. This Hux threatened everything I built here. He told me in no kind words that he would wipe me and everything I have out. The palace, my guards, Fennec, myself would be gone. They would lock us up and they throw away the key. They gave me not much time to think it over. But in the time that I did think I decided to betray Hux. I would kidnap the child and you as he asked. Then as Hux demanded of me, I would give you two over to him. I know he make you do something that will but you in danger. Fennec and I are to hand Grogu over first than you tonight. They are on there way here to the palace. After we kidnapped you two and Grogu woke up he admittedly forced chocked Fennec. After explaining and showing that you were okay did he let her go. Grogu was never in danger. But you have my word Mando Fennec, my guards, some friends who I will call upon and I will get you two out of this."

Mando was a lost of words. He heard of Hux and Captain Phasma. Both ruthless people from the Empire. Hux was a man driven by power and perfection. He understood now why Boba agreed. There was no other way. Mando nodded and cleared his throat. "Boba. I'm sorry for what is happening. If you would of told me the plan I..." Boba held up a hand and Mando stopped talking. "Hux has spies all over. We met a few on the way to Peli's Hangar yesterday night. It had to go the way it went. We would never betray you Mando. I do hope you know that." Mando nodded as he looked down at Grogu. Grogu glanced up at him with his big eyes. He knew the kid could feel what he was feeling and cooed. Mando glanced at Boba. "I understand. Now how are we going to do this?" Fennec gave a small smirk. "Are we all friends again? Good. So hears the plan. We have to put you back in the room you came from but this time you have to have cuffs on you. Grogu will be with Boba here in the chamber. We will have six guards in the room with you and four outside. When Hux and Phasma come they will take Grogu first like Boba said." A loud noise outside the chamber made all over them turned towards it. "There here. Mando its time." Mando nodded as Fennec pulled cuffs from her belt, Boba got up and stood in front of Mando. He held his hands out so nodded letting him know to give him the child. Shallowing hard he rubbed Grogu's cheek with his index finger. Grogu placed his hands on his fingers and giggle. Mando gentle handed over Grogu to Boba and turned to Fennec. Fennec went to Mando and place the cuffs on him. With the guards and Fennec they started to leave the room. Mando turned back to look at Grogu who stared at him. He gave the child a warm smile and winked at him. He heard another coo and he turned away feeling his heart twitch with pain. Fennec placed her hand on his shoulder and gave a small squeeze. They walked out of the chamber and to the room. A few minutes later he was sitting on the cot in the room with the three guards facing him and three facing the door. Fennec already left the room after telling him that everything will be fine and to trust them. Mando let his head hang a little as he sighed. Dealing with the Empire was dangerous, he just hoped things would be like Fennec said. Everything will be fine.