Part one.

——

I just got back from the Capitol last week. I always have to be home for the reaping.

I am walking back to my fathers house in victors village after a day of training kids at the academy, today's the day where they announce the premise of the quarter quell. I can't help but wonder what it will be.

More tributes? Smaller arena? Bigger arena? Less tributes?

The possibilities are endless. I sigh as I turn the corner and walk into my fathers house. We always go here for the announcements. I grew up here.

I place my duffel bag on the table beside the door. "Dad?" I shout out to the house, checking to see if he's home yet.

"In here!" He shouts from the kitchen. I make my way over, turning left from the hall.

I walk in to find him pouring out whiskey into Crystal glasses. He looks up, hearing my entrance and as I walk closer he embraces me in a warm hug. "Your aunt is in the living room, come on. For your aunt." He says as he passes me a glass, still carrying one himself.

I've never been much of a drinker. I don't think I could stop if i started.

I walk into the living room with him behind me and see my Aunt Cash sitting on the right hand side of the sofa. I place myself to her left and my father sits on mine.

She places her arm around me as my I give her the drink in my hand. She accepts it gratefully and I lean into her chest.

Suddenly the projector flickers on and the anthem begins playing. I zone out of the first part of President Snow's speech. Shutting my eyes.

I open my eyes as I hear the crowd cheering. "We celebrate the third quarter quell, as a reminder that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of the Capitol." I lean in closer to the projection.

"On this, the third Quarter Quell Games, the male and female tributes, are to be reaped from the existing pool of victors."

"No" I whisper as President Snow's words echo throughout the room. I immediately turn to face my father and aunt, "No. this isn't real." My father stands up and throws a vase at the wall. The video cuts out to one of the anthem again.

I feel bile rise up my throat as I rush to the bathroom, emptying my lunch into the toilet. I hear my Aunt Cash come in, she crouches down and holds my hair back as we both cry.

——

"And the female tribute, from district one." The announcer takes a pause as she rummages through the pieces of paper. "Cashmere Nicholo!"

My heart sinks. Aunt cash. As she begins to walk away from my side I shout out "I volunteer as tribute!" She turns to look at me with tears in her eyes as I plaster a fake smirk on my face, walking up the steps.

I stand up to the microphone and smile at the cameras.

"And for the male tribute from district one." She pauses again. "Gloss Nicholo!" She shouts out and I fight hard to keep my smile on my face.

I watch as my father walks up the steps onto his side of the stage and I grab his hand and hold it up, laughing almost.

What have I done?

——

We walk onto the train, with Aunt Cash as our mentor. As soon as the door shuts I'm pulled into an embrace by my aunt.

"Oh Aimee, what were you thinking?!" She cries into my shoulder whilst my father paces around the room.

"I- I." I stutter out unsure of what to say. "I didn't want you to go back in again." I lean into the hug and let my own tears fall. She lets me go and I sit down onto the couch.

My father follows suit and sits next to my while I lean onto his chest, silent tears still falling.

Aunt Cash sits across from us with her hands on her face before deciding to pull herself together. "Okay, we need a strategy. Snow is not going to let there be two winners again so we must try and convince the capitol citizens to stop the games." She gets up, pacing whilst describing her plan.

"Aunt Cash." I cry, hoping she'll realise it's futile.

"No. I'm not giving up on you. Not yet."

——