Part eight.

"This entire arena seems to be laid out like a clock, with a new threat every hour, but they stay only within their wedge." Katniss explains as Finnick helps me walk along the rocks, his hand on my waist."It all starts with the lightning. Then the blood rain, fog, monkeys. That's the first four hours. At ten the big wave hits from over there." She points over to one side of the arena.

"Wiress you're a genius." My father states whilst walking past her and I smile at him.

"Look the tail points to twelve." Peeta says as he points towards the tail of the cornucopia.

"That's where the lightning strikes at moon and midnight." Katniss walks over to make sure he's correct, which he is.

"Strikes where?" Beetee asks, suddenly intrigued.

"That big tree." I answer as I point up at the massive tree behind the cornucopia, recalling the events of the previous nights.

"Good." He nods as Wiress starts singing.

"Hickory Dickory dock, the mouse ran up the clock."

It's probably a rhyme for children but it keeps her happy.

Finnick makes sure I'm alright as I crouch down to look at the drawing Peeta made in the sand of the arena.

I zone out a bit until I hear Wiress' gasp and look up only to find Brutus right behind her, he snapped her neck.

I grab a knife from my belt and chuck it, aiming for his chest, but end up just nicking him I'm the shoulder as he dives off.

I groan at my failed attempt. And begin to help Beetee to his feet. Only for us to be immediately knocked down again as the entire cornucopia begins spinning violently.

My father grabs hold of a rock and holds Beetee with his other hand and Beetee grabs onto me.

I feel my grip start to loosen and I let out a scream. "NO!" My father shouts, trying to get closer to me.

"Dad!" I yell as empty boxes start flying at us I completely drop Beetee's hand and get knocked into the water.

I flail about aimlessly, trying to reach the surface without getting hit again. After a moment, the spinning stops and I'm able to reach the top of the water. I gasp as I try to get the oxygen back into my lungs and just hold on to the edge of the rocks, unable to get up.

I cough as Finnick and my father sprint over to me, spewing up water. My father places his hands under my arms and pulls me up onto the rocks. I'm coughing on my hands and knees as he pats my back. After a while I stop and my father lets me go.

"You okay?" Finnick asks as he places his hand on my back, me still gasping for air. I lift up a thumbs up, unable to get any words out as he helps me to my feet.

I look up to see everyone else staring at me as my father comes up to the other side of me and I lean into him. He places his arm around my shoulder and Finnick walks over to Johanna.

"We'll be alright." My dad mutters to me and I look up and smile weakly.

——

We're all sitting in a sort of circle, my dad with Beetee and I'm sitting next to Finnick.

"So besides the careers, who's left?" Katniss asks as I lean into Finnick.

"Honey, we are the careers. Me, my father and Finnick? We outnumber them." I laugh, earning a chuckle out of my father.

"Maybe Chaff? Just those three?" He thinks aloud, getting back to the topic at hand.

"They know they're outnumbered. I doubt they'll attack again." My father states. He knows them better than anyone so I nod.