Part nine.

"Aimee! Finnick!" Johanna yells to us from the beach. I turn and see them all gathered around Beetee, my father looking mad.

I chuckle and stand up, holding out my hand for Finnick. "Oh now she's a gentleman." He mocks, making my smile grow wider. He places his hand in mine and I help him stand.

He keeps his hand in mine as we walk over to the edge of the jungle and Beetee begins talking "Where does district two feel safest? The jungle?" He asks the group.

"The jungles a nightmare." Johanna states, placing her axe into the sand, leaning on it as I sit down beside my father who wraps his arm around my shoulder protectively.

"Probably here on the beach." Peeta says, dryly.

"Then why are they not here?" Beetee looks to him inquisitively.

"Because we are. We claimed it." Johanna interrupts, one hand on the tree.

"And if we left they would come?"

"Or stay hidden in the tree line." I realise as my eyes grow wide with anticipation.

"Which in just over four hours, will be soaked in water from the ten o'clock wave. And what happens at midnight?" He asks and I nod, understanding.

"Lightning strikes that tree." Me and Katniss state at the same time making me look over to her.

"Here's what I propose. We leave the beach at dusk. We head to the lightning tree. That should draw them back to the beach." He explains as everyone else starts understanding. "Prior to midnight, we then run this wire," he holds up the wire he's been protecting since we got into the arena. "-from the tree, to the water." He paused and points to where he's referring. "Anyone in the water, or on the damp sand will be electrocuted." He looks around to see if people agree.

"How do we know the wire's not gonna burn up?" Johanna asks sceptically.

"Because I invented it. I assure you it won't burn up." He says as I look to my dad. He looks upset at potentially causing his friends deaths. I lean in closer, trying to bring him comfort.

"Well it's better than hunting them down." Johanna sighs, unwilling to realise the genius.

"Yeah why not? If it fails no harm done anyway right?" Katniss states, looking for other opinions.

"Yeah I say we should try it." Peeta responds, looking down.

"So what can we do to help?" My father asks, unsure of what to do.

"Keep me alive for the next six hours. That would be extremely helpful." Beetee jokes and I chuckle.

——

Me and my father sit and watch as Finnick practices with his trident in the water.

He coughs awkwardly and I look up to meet his eyes, he looks concerned. "Are you mad I didn't tell you?" I get the courage to ask as I kick the sand beneath my feet.

He notices that I'm unsure of what to say so just starts talking. "I'm not mad. I'm just worried about you." He mutters as I look down to the sand.

"But you don't have to be. I've been able to take care of myself for a while dad." I look up to him again, my eyes brimming with tears.

"I know honey. I'm sorry I couldn't do more." He says as he places my head into his chest. Stroking my hair.

The viewers must think he's talking about the games. But I can tell there's much more to it.

"Dad," I speak as I pull away. I look up to meet his eyes, he looks confused as to where I'm going with this. "If only one of us gets out-" I start but he interrupts me.

"No. No. It has to be you. I couldn't live with myself if I let something happen to you." He states, trying to stop an argument.

"But I'd be the same." I try to reason as I look to my hands again.

"No, I've lived my whole life honey. I'm thirty-nine, I'm done, besides someone needs to look after your Aunt Cash." He jokes - trying to lighten the mood.

I let out an airy laugh and let my fingers trace over my thigh, where my wound used to be only days prior. All that's left is an ugly, jagged scar.

"It's healed up pretty good." He mutters and I nod in agreement.

I place my head in my hands and sigh. He sees this and places his hand on my shoulder causing me to look up at him, seeing him just as worried as me. "We'll be alright." I mumble, in an effort to comfort him, knowing it may not be true.

He lets out an airy laugh at the phrase and nods, opening his mouth to speak, his voice hoarse.

"We'll be alright."

——