Part six.

——

I watch curiously as Katniss climbs up the tree and Peeta turns to me.

He looks nervous, as if what he's about to say is going to set me off. "It's alright, you can ask." I say smiling weakly.

"I thought your family was close with Brutus and Enobaria, why aren't they here?" I turn to look at my father who's sitting and talking with Mags before I turn back.

"They don't trust anyone." Which is understandable. "Except eachother, I mean." I look around and see Finnick at the bottom of the tree, looking up at Katniss. "But yes, we were close."

——

"The force field. It's a dome. We're at the edge of the arena." She says as she steps down from the tree, covered in sweat. "We couldn't find any signs of fresh water." She mutters as I look at her solemnly.

The only water source is in the middle of the arena. They're drawing us all together.

"It's gonna get dark soon." Finnick chimes in as we all turn to him. "We'll be safe with our backs protected. We should set up camp. Take turns sleeping. I can take first watch."

"Not a chance." Katniss states, still not fully trusting of us.

Upon hearing this, Finnick places his trident on the ground to help him stand up and glares at her. "Honey. That thing I did back there for Peeta? That was called 'saving his life.' If I wanted to kill either of you I would have done it by now." He then walks away as Katniss stares, knowing he's right.

I turn to my father as everyone breaks off into groups of two, Finnick helping Mags up and Katniss talking with Peeta.

"Come on, old man." I pat my father on the back and begin walking up, nearer the force field as he laughs at me.

"Hilarious. You should become a comedian."

——

We all stare up at the sky as the anthem of Panem plays and look into the eyes of all the fallen victors. My old friends. I count as I look up.

"Eight." I state dryly and Finnick mumbles in agreement.

After a moment I hear the beeping of the parachute. Me, Katniss and Finnick run over and I get there first to grasp it in my hands.

I open it up and see a familiar metal tool that I can't quite place. And a note that reads:

"Drink up." - H + C

I read the letter aloud and hear Finnick ask "What is it?" Unable to answer just yet I pick up the tool in my hand and examine it.

Haymitch and Aunt Cashmere must be working together.

"It's from Haymitch and Aunt cash." I state, thinking. Where have I seen this before?

"I think it's a spile." Katniss exclaims and my eyes widen with realisation. Of course!

Me and Katniss run up to a tree and hear Finnick following close behind as she smashes it into the bark with a rock.

It takes a second for it to work, but when it does I cry out in relief. I watch her take a drink, as Finnick starts speaking. "You're kidding me, your kidding me! Get some water, get some water!" He exclaims then he and Peeta take a drink and I rush down to find my father.