Chapter One: Echoes in the Forest

Hazel's eyelids fluttered closed, surrendering to the July sun's tender embrace as it danced through the branches of a mighty Ponderosa Pine. The rays kissed her cheeks, a delicate warmth amidst the coolness of the shaded forest. She inhaled deeply, the refreshing scent of pine needles filling her lungs, mingling with the earthy aroma rising from the forest floor. Cradled by the branch's smooth bark, she lounged, her legs languishing before her. Nestled in her lap, a piece of homemade apple bread sat, enfolded in a simple napkin. The crust shimmered, butter melted into its fluffy surface like a dream. Hazel let out a satisfied sigh, 'Lunch just tastes better up here.'

The forest's hushed murmurs wrapped around her, pine needles gently rustling in a soothing lullaby. She found herself easing into an almost dangerous state of relaxation. 'If I fall out of another tree, the boys will never let me live it down,' a smile playing on her lips.  

Her teeth sank into the freshly baked bread, and she was greeted by a delightful blend of buttery softness and sweet caramelized apple. It tasted even better than it looked. Pulling her long, copper hair over her shoulder, she leaned back, her head resting against the solid trunk behind her. She wished she could bottle moments like these, keep them in a drawer and pull them out whenever she wanted. Swallowing her mouthful, she once again surrendered to the simple pleasures of the forest – the gentle summer breeze, the rustling leaves, the earthy fragrance, and the warm caress of the sun on her face.

Just as she teetered on the edge of sleep, a peculiar sensation jolted her. It was a vibration that resonated more through her body than her ears. A deep thwack reverberated within the tree trunk right behind her head. 

Perplexed, Hazel sat up, her senses sharpening, her eyes snapping open. The strange phenomenon repeated itself, another abrupt jolt coursing through her. She glanced upward and noticed the pine needles performing an eerie dance, trembling in unison with an unseen force. The tiny needles twitched and quivered, their erratic movements mirroring the rhythmic chopping that appeared to originate from the very tree she had been resting against. The forest air now resonated with a series of rhythmic thuds, a sound she had heard nearly every day of her life – the sound of an axe repeatedly meeting wood.

 Hazel's heart raced as she peered down, her eyes locking onto the figure relentlessly hacking away at the base of her tree. Draped in a dark green coat, the figure's presence was out of place amidst the summer's warmth. Gradually, the realization began to dawn on Hazel, a truth that should have been obvious from the start but must have been clouded by her surreal contentment. Someone was systematically cutting the very tree she currently occupied.

"Hold on!" Hazel's voice rang out, she clung to a fleeting hope that her call would halt the figure's actions. For a brief moment, the axe-wielding figure paused, turning their head upwards, as if acknowledging her presence. Despite facing her, the details of their face remained veiled in shadow. Hazel's eyes darted to the tree's trunk, where the axe had made deep, jagged gashes, the exposed wood rough and splintered. Shards of bark lay scattered around the base.

Unheeded and without further acknowledgment of her, the figure resumed his task with renewed vigor, each strike of the axe sending a jolt of terror through Hazel. The tree now swayed under the relentless assault. It groaned and creaked, as if mourning its impending fate.

"Stop!" Hazel screamed, panic surging through her veins. Her words seemed only to drive the assailant to hasten his efforts. Frantically, Hazel tossed her lunch aside, the apple bread plummeting helplessly into the abyss below.

Scrambling to descend, Hazel's movements were frantic and uncoordinated. But time was a luxury she no longer possessed.  The air was filled with the deafening sound of splintering wood, a fitting soundtrack to her impending death.  Birds scattered from their perches, their frantic wings beating against the sky in a series of alarmed cries. Leaves and pine needles rained down like confetti at a grim celebration, obscuring Hazel's vision. The tree's mighty trunk cracked, the sound reverberating through the woods like thunder. Her hands clawed desperately at branches, bark tearing away beneath her fingertips.