Chapter Twenty-Three: Consequences

"What do you want?" Hazel asked, her voice flat, masking the unease bubbling within her.

"Ok, no small talk." Caleb's smile widened, "You've had quite the eventful day, haven't you?"

"You could say that," she replied dryly. Her gaze darted around the empty kitchen, searching for an escape route or any sign of assistance, but they were alone.

He leaned in, his taller frame casting a shadow over her. "I heard a little rumor that not only did the Capitol love your little rescue of Senator Snow, but he also gave you a personal ride home," he said, his voice laced with insinuation.

"And your point is?" she asked, trying to mask her growing unease with a facade of indifference.

Caleb's proximity was suffocating, his height towering over her as he closed in. "I'm curious, what did he give you?" he probed, his eyes fixed on her.

"Excuse me?" Hazel raised her eyebrows and took a small step back. His dark eyes seemed more imposing under the kitchen lights.

He took another even closer step, "You disappear for hours. You get dropped off here by Snow and return walking around the place with what sounds like a bottle of pills in your pocket. Now you are down here getting some water and food, I'm guessing to wash whatever it is down with."

Hazel's heart pounded in her chest. She hadn't noticed the sound of the pills. She tried to keep her composure, even as fear knotted in her stomach.

Caleb's breath almost brushing her face, "So, what did he give you?" His gaze ran over her, "Or maybe you gave him something? A little favor for some extra sponsor funding?"

Repulsed, Hazel took a step back and scoffed. She attempted to move past him, but he grabbed her injured arm, causing her to cry out in pain. In one swift motion, he pushed her against the fridge, muffling her cry with his hand.

Pain seared through Hazel's arm, the sensation so intense she feared the wounds had reopened. She inhaled sharply, trying to steady herself. Caleb's grip was firm, his other hand fishing the pill bottle out of her pocket with a triumphant smirk. She tried to push back against him but her one armed her efforts weren't making much progress.

Holding the pill bottle aloft, he peered inside. "Wow, Snow really does like you, doesn't he?" As he emptied most of the pills into his hand, his movements deliberate. "Can't say I blame the guy," he added with a wink, pocketing the pills.

Leaving only a few in the bottle, he closed the gap between them once again. Hazel was trapped, her back against the cold surface of the fridge, unable to retreat any further. Caleb's hand moved slowly towards her, deliberately placing the pill bottle back into her pocket, his gaze locked onto hers in a silent challenge. "I'm not a total asshole you know. Figured I leave you a couple."

"How generous of you," she spat out, shoving him away with all the strength she could muster. "You know, I'm looking forward to you dying the day after tomorrow, Caleb."

Caleb didn't resist her push. "Aww, you're breaking my heart." He straightened up, still smiling. He let her push past him and toward the entrance of the kitchen. "Sweet dreams, Red," he called out mockingly as Hazel made her escape.

She quickly made her way past the group of tributes huddled near the fireplace, their quiet conversations fading into the background as she ascended the stairs. Hastily reaching her room, she shut the door behind her with a soft click.

The bathroom door was slightly ajar, allowing thin wisps of steam to escape into the room. The sound of running water filled the small space. Her arm and neck throbbed painfully.