Chapter Thirty-Six: Shattered Dawn

The chirping of birds gently coaxed Hazel awake, her head swaying softly as if cradled by the wind. Her mind felt burdened, a dull weight pressing down, and her eyes ached as if swollen. The subtle warmth of breath against her ear and the steady rhythm of a heartbeat beneath her cheek slowly brought her to the realization that she was resting on someone. As her consciousness knit itself back together, disorientation gave way to a spinning sensation that clutched at her senses. A few quick blinks dispelled the last vestiges of sleep, grounding her in reality: she was perched on a branch, leaning against Silus, trapped in the godforsaken Hunger Games. For a fleeting moment, she yearned for the blissful ignorance of those first, confused seconds of awakening.

As dawn broke, the warm air caressed Hazel's face, her lungs expanding with the freshness of the new day. The sunrise bled rosy shades across the sky, shifting to golden as moments ticked by. She rubbed her eyes, wincing at the tenderness of her swollen lids, the rough texture of dried tears beneath her fingertips. The pit of her stomach twisted as memories from the night prior surged forward, Mia's screams now a haunting melody in her mind. She tried to shake away the images, the sounds, but her body resisted, muscles aching with every stretch. Pain, though unwelcome, offered a brief reprieve from the relentless replay of Mia's voice. Hazel had never known the aftermath of a hangover, but she suspected the feeling might be like this.

Silus, stirred by her motions, met her gaze. His expression carried a solemn weight, underscored by dark circles and an unmistakable weariness tinged with fear in his eyes. They shared a silent exchange, a conversation without words, finding speech inadequate in the shadow of the previous night's horrors.

Aaron, Ethan, and Ruby gradually woke up. Aaron's gaze, locked on his clenched hands, his body tense yet clearly fatigued, as if sleep had eluded him throughout the night—a sentiment Hazel understood all too well. Looking down from their refuge, she noted the absence of the wolves and their menacing quills. In their place, the arena's birds chirped cheerily, an unsettling contrast to the nightmare that had unfolded hours before. Without words, but with a mutual understanding, they began their careful climb down. Hazel's head spun, a dull ache pressing at her temples, as she worked her way through the branches, relief washing over her as her feet touched solid ground.

Hazel's gaze shifted; her breathing hitched as she forced herself to gaze at where Mia had last been. Mia, with her eyes full of warmth, her hair a cascade of night, and her spirit unyielding, was gone. Instead, the ground, blanketed in moss and pine needles, cradled her abandoned knife. Pressing a hand to her mouth, Hazel battled the urge to look away as she observed a sizeable maroon stain, which trailed away from them before disappearing into the morning mist. Silus towered beside her; his gaze fixed on the ground as his deep sigh mingled with the crisp morning air.

Aaron approached the knife, bending down next to it. A faint shiver passed through him as he lowered himself next to the dark, rusty streak on the ground. Gently lifting the knife from the earth, he cradled it in his hands. His eyes then followed the trail, now a muted reddish-brown path disappearing into the morning fog of the woods, his body momentarily sinking with a heavy sigh. Silence enveloped the group; even Ethan held his tongue. Only the vibrant chirps of pudgy songbirds filled the air with life. Aaron remained stationary, hunched over the large stain that wove through the pine needles and into the forest's embrace. Hazel caught the sound of his uneven breaths.

Ruby quietly joined Aaron's side, her delicate hand finding its place on his shoulder. Aaron accepted her comfort, remaining still and silent. The group stood motionless for a while; their gazes lost in the woods that surrounded them. She grappled with the sounds of Mia's last moments—a pain and fear she wouldn't wish upon anyone. A gentle breeze caressed Hazel's face, the cool, fresh air snapping her back from the fog of her mind. Adjusting her backpack, she found a dark comfort in the sapphire petals resting in its depths.