Chapter Eighteen: Conversations & Nightmares

Hazel paused at the threshold of their room, already bracing for the reaction. The room, once orderly and neat, now resembled the aftermath of a tornado. Not that she would know what those were like, living in the mountains, they rarely had to worry about such issues. Bed sheets were strewn about, pillows had been tossed aside, and various items seemed to have been upended in a frenzied search.

"Oh, yeah... about that," Hazel sheepishly began, glancing at Silus with an apologetic grimace.

Silus, stepping into the chaos, looked around with a mix of disbelief and amusement. "You looked under our sheets?" he asked, lifting a pillow.

Before Hazel could respond, Leo's voice chimed in from behind them, "What in the world happened here?" he asked, surveying the scene.

In the midst of the disheveled room, Hazel and Silus stood somewhat awkwardly, surrounded by the evidence of her frantic search.

Hazel addressed Leo, who still looked visibly perplexed by the state of the room. "Leo, there's something we need to discuss," she said, her tone serious. Motioning for him to step further inside, she carefully closed the door behind him.

Once enclosed in the room, Leo's expression shifted from confusion to concern. "You two had better start explaining what all this is about," he demanded, his gaze sweeping over the chaotic scene before settling intently on them.

Hazel took a deep breath, the weight of their predicament settling heavily on her shoulders. "The suture kit you gave us... it's missing."

Hazel, standing amidst the disarray, took a moment to compose herself before explaining the situation to Leo. Her eyes briefly scanned the room, taking in the jumbled mess that now characterized their living space. "I completely forgot about the suture kit until just before we were set to leave for the Pantheon," she began, her voice tinged with regret. "But when I came back up here to grab it, it was nowhere to be found. The last time we checked, it was in the bathroom." She paused, noting the change in Leo's expression. His face, which had been a canvas of confusion and concern, had shifted to something more inscrutable, his thoughts carefully masked.

"I've torn apart this room, as you can clearly see," Hazel continued, gesturing around them. "But I can't find it anywhere."

Leo's eyes methodically scanned the room, taking in the overturned furniture, scattered clothes, and various personal items strewn about. He remained silent for a few seconds, deep in thought, before finally turning back to face them. His eyes bore into Hazel's, searching for any hint of deceit.

"How can I believe you're telling me the truth?" he asked, his voice steady but carrying an undercurrent of skepticism. The question hung in the air, heavy with implication. Hazel felt a knot form in her stomach. She exchanged a worried glance with Silus.

"I swear, I'm not lying," she insisted, her eyes reflecting the urgency and sincerity of her words.

Silus, standing beside her, added his voice to the defense. "Why would we lie about this?" he asked, his tone echoing Hazel's concern. "It doesn't make any sense. Getting caught with that kit could get all of us in serious trouble."

Leo, however, seemed unconvinced. He shook his head, a mixture of disappointment and frustration evident in his sharp gray eyes. "I should've known better," he muttered, more to himself than to them. "I should have been more cautious about trusting people who are district."

Hazel's exasperation grew. "Leo, please, you have to believe us," she pleaded, her voice laced with frustration. "We wouldn't risk getting caught like this."

Leo regarded them, his inner struggle evident in the furrowed lines on his brow and the uncertainty that flickered in his gaze. "Why wouldn't you take any advantage you can get?" His question held a bitter edge. "You're running out of time, aren't you? What do you have to lose? If they find out the kit came from me, they will cut out my tongue."