Chapter Twenty-Seven: Let the Games Begin

A chilling breeze swept over Hazel, its icy tendrils licking at her exposed skin on her face and arms. Shivering, she opened her eyes and wrapped her arms around her torso, seeking warmth. She found herself in the woods again, but this time she was in a clearing. It appeared that large trees had been harvested, leaving stumps scattered across the space like haphazard polka dots. The mossy ground was tinted brown with sawdust, giving the clearing a desolate feel. She looked around and found that not a soul was in sight.

Despite the bright and blue sky above, the air was deceptively cold. She shivered again and took a few more steps into the clearing. Drawing in a deep breath, she sighed at the familiar smell of the air. It was the sweet scent of cedar, one of her favorite smells in the whole world. None of the other woods could quite match up to that aroma. It brought back memories of home. Much of the furniture in their house was made of cedar - their dining room table, her mother's hope chest, and even the little animals her uncle had once carved for her were crafted from the fragrant softwood.

'Snap'. Hazel's eyes shot open at the sound behind her. Quickly, she rechecked the clearing, her gaze scanning the area. Initially, she didn't notice anything, but then a small movement at the tree line caught her attention. It was a flash of a deep green coat tail. She took a few hesitant steps toward the anomaly, squinting her eyes to see better.

'Snap.' The sound came again, closer this time. After a few more cautious steps, Hazel could make out more details. A tall figure was draped in a dark green coat, the silhouette standing out against the forest backdrop. The figure appeared to be facing her, observing her movements. As she drew closer, Hazel could finally see the familiar face of the figure. His emerald eyes met hers, and a lock of auburn red hair escaped from under his hood, dangling over his forehead. He remained silent, just watching her. He didn't seem to be armed, nor did he make any move to harm her. Cautiously, Hazel took a few more steps closer, as if approaching a wild animal. He stood, motionless and silent, as she gradually neared him. The clearing was enveloped in a tense silence as she made her way into the tree line. Finally, she stopped just a few paces away from him.

"Uncle Cedar," she said softly. At the sound of his name, his face registered a brief flicker of recognition, but he remained otherwise still, continuing to watch her without speaking. "Why are you here? Why are you haunting me?" Hazel asked, her voice carrying a slight tremble. The memory of him dying seemed distant and surreal now that he stood before her. As she took a few more steps toward him, she feared he might disappear again. He remained silent, observing her with a steady gaze. Time seemed to stretch on in the quiet of the forest.

Gradually, Hazel noticed a change in his expression. His face remained stoic, but his eyes betrayed a deep pain. She watched, heart aching, as emotions brimmed in his eyes, culminating in a single tear that trailed down his cheek. The sight was jarring; she had no memory of him ever crying when she was a little girl. He had always been joyful and fun-loving, a constant source of happiness in her life.

Hazel closed the remaining distance between them and wrapped her arms around him in a hesitant embrace. His body felt unexpectedly cool, almost damp to the touch, unlike the warm hugs she remembered. But to her, the physical sensation was inconsequential. She would have given anything to hug him one more time as a child.

Slowly, he began to move, gently reciprocating her hug. He rested his cheek on top of her head. After a brief moment, Hazel heard his voice, not exactly as she remembered but similar enough to stir a deep sense of familiarity. "Hey Hazelnut," he said softly, the term of endearment resonating with her. Cedar was the only one who had ever called her that. She had not heard the nickname since she was five. She tightened her embrace, fearing that he might disappear if she loosened her grip.

As they held each other, Hazel felt a warmth spreading across her chest. At first, she thought it was body heat, but the sensation was different, like warm soup being poured over her. Confused, she pulled back slightly to look down. To her horror, she saw her shirt covered in red blood, a significant amount that was soaking into her clothes and skin. Startled, she gazed up at Cedar, whose eyes were serious and fixed on her, but he began to sway unsteadily.