Chapter Forty-One: Smoke and Brine

"Kai!" Ruby's shout sliced through the salty sea air, startling Hazel as she trudged through the damp, coarse sand. The ocean's incessant roar muted the quieter sounds of the island, but Ruby's voice was clear and sharp, filled with relief and desperation.

"You're still alive!" Ruby exclaimed, wrapping her good arm around him in a tight embrace.

Kai's eyes widened slightly as he took in Ruby's drenched appearance. "You're soaked and you smell like smoke," he remarked, his voice tinged with surprise and concern. 

Ruby released him abruptly. "Sorry," she muttered, beginning to wring the water from her clothing with her uninjured hand.

Kai shook his head, "Don't worry, It's ok."

Kai wasn't wrong in his observation. The group was like a collection of drowned rats. The scent of sea mixed with the lingering smokiness from their scorched escape clung to their clothes. Damp, salty air clung to Hazel like a second skin, and as he spoke, a brisk sea breeze whisked through, making her wet outfit cling even tighter. 

Hazel observed the exchange thoughtfully. Kai had always struck her as a kind, sweet, and unassuming boy, much like Linden. Only a few years older, Kai did not seem like much of a fighter, yet here he was, seemingly unscathed at least physically.

"How'd you guys know I was here?" Kai asked, looking from Ruby to the rest of the group, eyebrows raised a slight tremble in his hands.

"Just a lucky accident" Ethan commented as he squeezed the edges of his soaked shirt, and little streams of water flowed out of the material between his fingers. Aaron and Silus were following suit, wringing their clothing in their hands.

Kai motioned towards the darkening sky, tainted by the lingering scent of burnt corn. "Was that you?"

Ruby was the first to respond, shrugging nonchalantly before grimacing as she moved her injured arm too quickly, "Yeah."

Kai's dark brown eyes widened as he absorbed the information and then turned his head back to the field. For a while he appeared to be lost in his own thoughts as he stared without speaking.

Hazel observed the aftermath of their desperate escape in the now ravaged tract. Rubbing her forehead awkwardly, "We kind of burned down the district 11 tract. We had to light the corn on fire to escape Districts One and Two. We didn't really have many options." Even from afar, the weight of what they had done—what she had ignited—pressed down on her, a mix of guilt and grim satisfaction.

Kai nodded, still gazing out at the scorched corn and smoke-stained sky. His hands still subtly trembled as he continued to stare for several more moments before finally commenting, "It's probably just as well." His voice was strained and hollow, his eyebrows lifting briefly in a flash of sadness.

Hazel tried to imagine her feelings if the district seven tract were to burn to the ground. On one hand, it was the closest thing to home, and watching it burn would be a painful reminder of what she might never return to. On the other hand, it was merely the Capitol's interpretation of the woodland she cherished. Snow had certainly tried his best, but his efforts were tainted by Mia's blood, Gaul's beasts and his own arrogance. She scoffed at the memory of the weak roots of the fallen redwoods. He had attempted to recreate centuries of nature's work in a fraction of the time, and it showed. And then there was the inclusion of Sapphire's Breath; he probably thought it a stroke of genius, but she was resolved to prove him wrong, even though the blooms were currently sopping in the bottom of her soggy backpack.

Kai's muffled sniff and a nearly concealed swipe of his sleeve across his eyelids snapped Hazel back to the present. She gave Kai a sympathetic look. Though only a few years older than the twins, he seemed to have aged decades in just a few days. The profound sadness etched into his features spoke of a loss greater than just a scorched cornfield. Hazel realized he had not mentioned his district partner.