Chapter Twenty-Five: Interviewing the Lucky

*** Author's Note: I just want to thank my follower aedior. She created some lovely art for my book which I will show off in the next couple of chapters. Thank you so much for your support and your lovely art!***

After awakening from her nightmare of sweet, blue demise, Hazel lay on her side, staring blankly at the wall. The sickly sweet perfume of Sapphire's Breath still lingered on the periphery of her mind. She shifted uncomfortably, feeling the ache of her injuries. Lately, her sleep had been more nightmares than dreams.

As she lay there, the events of the previous night replayed in her mind like a macabre film. The beaten appearance of the tributes etched in her memory. Their bruised faces, the look of defeat in their eyes, the way their bodies slumped from exhaustion and pain – the images swirled in her thoughts, refusing to be pushed aside. The dull thuds, Leo's muffled cries– played over and over, a relentless loop that chilled her to the bone.

The thought of closing her eyes and slipping back into sleep was almost as terrifying as the reality she was living. So, she stayed awake, her gaze fixed on the wall.

The sound of the lock clicking open caused her to sit up, her hands still cuffed, resting in her lap. The door creaked open, revealing Indira, her bright yellow dress radiating in the sunlight filtering through the window. The sequined flowers adorning her shoes sparkled, and similar embellishments were woven into her long braid.

Indira's gaze swept over Hazel, assessing her state. "It's time to get ready for the interviews," she announced, her voice calm yet assertive. Flanking her were peacekeepers. Indira addressed them with a firm tone, "I don't need your assistance."

The peacekeeper, unfamiliar to Hazel and most certainly not Leo, spoke firmly, "Commander Drayton has ordered that the tributes are not to be left alone and unsupervised with anyone."

Indira nodded, her irritation clearly visible on her face. "Well, if you must stay, then so be it, but please try to stay out of the way."

"Understood, ma'am," the peacekeeper replied, stepping into the room and closing the door behind them. Indira discreetly rolled her eyes as she approached Hazel.

Indira, her gaze fixed on Hazel's handcuffed hands, turned abruptly toward the peacekeeper. "I want these handcuffs removed immediately."

He hesitated, starting to say, "Ma'am, Commander Drayton has ordered that—"

"I don't care about Percival's orders right now," Indira interrupted firmly. "I cannot possibly dress her for the interviews with those on."

The peacekeeper appeared conflicted, his eyes darting back and forth between Hazel and Indira.

"If you don't remove these cuffs right this instant, I will personally ensure we all have a meeting with the Commander in exactly two minutes."

Reluctantly, the peacekeeper acquiesced. He stepped towards Hazel and swiftly unlocked the cuffs, freeing her from their confining grip. Once the cuffs were removed, he retreated to a corner of the room, maintaining a watchful distance.

Indira shot the peacekeeper a stern look, one last silent reprimand, before turning her focus to Hazel. She took a seat beside Hazel on the bed, her expression shifting from firm to gentle as she faced her.

Hazel, feeling the relief of freedom, lightly rubbed her wrists. The cuffs had left faint red lines circling her skin, marking her like unwelcome bracelets.

"Thank you," Hazel murmured softly.

Indira gave a gentle nod, her voice hushed. "I've heard about the recent events," she said, her expression turning somber. "That terrible incident with the escape attempt, that poor girl from District 8... and then of course, Iris Overstreet." She shook her head, her braid swaying gracefully, a trace of sadness in her eyes as she stared out the window.