Chapter Thirty-Five: Paths in the Shadows

***Trigger warnings for violence, terror and death***

Navigating through the darkness back to the camp, Hazel's nerves were taut. The weight of her axes against her belt offered a sense of reassurance in the stillness of the night. As she moved in silence, her gaze trailed the boot prints scattered around their makeshift campsite. Amidst the dirt, she discerned several rusted brown specks. Drawing closer, she realized these couldn't have originated from Mia. Aaron's hip must be bleeding. It occurred to her that the cut might be deeper than initially assessed, or perhaps their frantic escape and the ordeal with the sand had exacerbated it. Maybe if he would just use the bandages I gave him, he wouldn't be bleeding all over the woods. Hazel sighed with a subtle roll of her eyes.

 As she approached their makeshift post, Ruby and Ethan came into view, their breathing deep and even, faces relaxed in sleep. Nearby, Mia's form shivered, tossing restlessly on the ground, her forehead glistening with sweat. Aaron, seated with his weapon resting across his lap, kept a vigilant watch over Mia, his eyes deep with concern. Hazel's gaze then shifted to Silus, who lay on his side, an arm tucked under his head as a makeshift pillow. His breathing was steady, yet his eyes were wide open, alert and fixed on Hazel as she returned.

Silently, she navigated her way to him, her boots gently compressing the pine needles and leaves beneath her with each step. Letting out a deep sigh, she settled herself beside him on the cool earth. "Seems I'm a bad influence," she teased with a soft yet chiding voice, a wink accompanying her words. "Didn't I tell you to get some sleep?"

Silus lifted his head to meet her gaze, his face faintly lit by the moon's glow. A worried furrow appeared between his brows, "I just wanted to make sure you got back safely. What took you so long?"

Surveying their group with a heavy sigh, Hazel withdrew one of her axes, placing it before her. Her fingers absentmindedly traced the handle, her nails, caked with dirt, picking at its edges. Lifting her eyes to meet his, she whispered, "I found some Sapphire's Breath."

"Really?" Silus's voice carried a mix of disbelief and curiosity as he adjusted his position to better face her. "I know Gaul said she would be incorporating both light and dark elements of each district into the Games but..."

As their eyes locked, Hazel noticed the gears turning in his head. "I gathered some," she confessed.

Silus's expression shifted, his eyebrow arching in a blend of surprise and concern, "That was risky, you know how dangerous those plants are."

"More dangerous than Caleb or Elara? We are in the Hunger Games Silus, we are in the most amount of danger we could possibly be." With a slight nod towards the backpack resting on her shoulder, Hazel added softly, "It's in here. Just in case we ever...." she felt a sour taste on her tongue, "...need it." It wasn't an outright lie, and she hoped he wouldn't guess her plan. 

Silus's gaze lingered on the backpack before returning to Hazel, piercing in its intensity. His expression, now etched with curiosity, bore down on her, "Do you think you'll be able to actually use it when the time comes?"

In the dim light, Hazel noticed doubt shadowing his features.  Like the audience watching from afar, she would let him draw his own conclusions, he would destroy the flowers if he understood why she really had them.

Hazel shifted her gaze from him to the group and then to their surroundings. "I don't know," she admitted, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "I want to say yes, but my idea of the Games and the reality of them are two very different things."

Silus's expression softened, and his warm palm found its way on top of hers. "Me too," he murmured, his fingers gently tracing hers.

"Like I've told you, if you are in danger, I will do what I have to do, but outside of that I am not sure I can just..." She glanced at their group again before meeting his eyes, "...kill one of them." She hesitated, her tone lightening. "Well, except Caleb, maybe."