Chapter Twenty-Two: Rides & Revelations

Percy, his expression grave, surveyed the body bag before turning back to face Leo and Hazel. "I want her handcuffed and blindfolded immediately," he commanded, his voice firm.

Leo, however, stood his ground. "I'll blindfold her, but handcuffs aren't necessary," he retorted, his tone suggesting a compromise. Leo persisted, lowering his voice for added emphasis. "I'll take personal responsibility for her. Hold me accountable if anything happens."

Percy's eyes narrowed as he scrutinized Leo, gauging the sincerity of his commitment. Hazel, sensing the tension, clutched Snow's coat closer to her body, using it as a makeshift shield.

After a moment, Percy relented with a terse "Okay." His lean-in toward Leo carried a warning as potent as his words. "Don't think I won't," he hissed, his eyes a mirror of deadly seriousness, the earlier humor completely evaporated.

With a final, lingering look at Hazel, Percy nodded to Senator Snow and then walked away. She watched him as he joined Dr. Gaul at the front of the helicopter. Dr. Gaul seemed to be delivering a stern lecture, and Percy, unusually subdued, hardly put up any resistance.

Senator Snow, breaking her train of thought, turned to her with a reassuring nod. "You are in good hands," he said, his gaze briefly shifting to Leo behind Hazel.

Festus, standing nearby, chimed in with a light but firm tone, "Careful with my tribute, Leo." 

Festus and Snow then found seats with Dr. Gaul and Percy. Leo exhaled a deep, weary sigh as he meticulously tended to Hazel's wounds. Hazel found her gaze repeatedly drawn to the body bag lying on the floor. The reality of its contents – a mentor, no less – settled into her consciousness. She had sensed something was off with Ian but never imagined it would escalate to such a horrific outcome.

Focused on his task, Leo's gloved fingers navigated her injured skin. "Alright, I need to put this on you." Hazel knew he was referring to the blindfold without needing to look.

"It's okay, go ahead," she replied resignedly, feeling too drained and tense to object. Leo placed the blindfold over her eyes.

"I'm going to use some glue and bandages," he informed her. "We don't have sutures on board."

Hazel inhaled sharply, her nerves on edge. "Okay," she agreed, purposely avoiding any mention of the lost suture kit. "I guess being glued back together in a moving helicopter is better than being stitched up."

"We'll see. Just a heads up, the glue might sting a bit," Leo warned her.

She nodded in understanding, bracing herself for the sensation. As Leo applied the glue, a warm sensation quickly escalated to a burning feeling on her skin. She clenched her teeth and tightened her grip on Snow's jacket, drawing it closer to her face. The faint aroma of roses emanating from the fabric was oddly comforting. Leo methodically worked his way from her neck to her shoulder, down her back, and along her upper arm.

"You know, I never would have guessed he was your brother," Hazel commented, hoping to distract herself from the unfamiliar sensation of the helicopter's movements as well as the burning of her skin. It was only her second time in a flying vehicle, and the experience was unsettling. Leo paused in his task, "I get that a lot," he replied.

"I can relate," Hazel continued, trying to distract herself from the jerking movements.

"I can imagine you do," Leo's voice echoed from behind her, slightly muffled from the sound of the rotors.

"But you know I definitely like you better," she responded.

He gave a dry laugh, "Yeah, I also get that a lot."