Surprises

The second date Rosie had been asked too attend, had been just as wonderful as the last, and slowly but surely Rosie was opening up more to Alex, much to the others delight.

Just as promise though, Rosie had something special planned herself for their third date. Alex had, after all, wanted to know more about her and what she liked to do, so she'd planned to take her along to something she regularly did on a Friday night.

"So, where are we headed?" Alex asked her as Rosie lead them along the streets, one hand holding Alex's outstretched one, the other carrying bags containing god knows what, and Alex's other hand full as well of such things.

"It's a surprise. I hope that you like it though." Rosie said, her smile faltering when she began to panic just one of the many times she had over the planning of her date. But Alex stopped them in their tracks and gently lifted her chin up to look her directly in the eyes.

"Rosie, no matter what it is, even if it's sliding down mud in the rain, as long as I get to do it with you, that's all I want." Rosie blushed at that, earning Alex another one of her dopey grins as they began to walk again, Alex following Rosie like the happy love-sick puppy she was.

When they finally arrived at their destination, Alex looked in confusion at the building. The words on the top of the door read 'community shelter'. Had Rosie taken her to some kind of community music festival or something?

But when Rosie led her inside, Alex's jaw dropped as she began to take in her surroundings. The place was absolutely packed, but not by concert goers or festival heads, it was packed by people who where doing it rough. Rosie had taken Alex to a homeless shelter. As Alex's eyes scanned the room and landed back on her date, they widened even more as she watched Rosie go up to and greet every single person in the community shelter as if she had taken the time to previously get to know them all individually, and there must have been at least thirty or more of them!

Just how often did she visit?

Alex almost lost her for a moment when she turned around a corner, but the next moment her head popped back around as she gestured for Alex to follow her with a warm, but nervous smile upon her face.

Alex obediently followed her date until she had led her into a small kitchen, and watched as she began to unpack their bags and place all sorts of baking utensils and ingredients onto the small bench tops.

"Can I help?" Alex asked and found that she couldn't catch her breath for a moment when Rosie grinned at her.

"Of course, could you start mixing these in this bowl? I'll let you know when to stop." She said gently as Alex got started on the mixing, not for one second taking her eyes away from the girl she was constantly falling for.

"There, that's perfect. Thank you!" She suddenly said what must have been minutes later, breaking Alex's daze.

"Oh, right. What now?" She asked but just as Rosie was about to answer, they where interrupted when two little girls that couldn't have been older than five, entered the room, running up to Rosie to give her a hug.

Rosie giggled as she hugged the children back, picking one of them up as she spun them around.

"Rosie can we make some?" One of them pleaded with the cutest puppy-like eyes that apart from Rosie's, Alex had ever seen.

"Of course, would you like to make some Christmas ones?" She asked with a cheeky grin. The children squealed as they nodded and Rosie proceeded to lift one of them up to see the bench as she guided her to use the cookie cutters she had brought.

Alex watched in awe as she learned more about the girl she was dating than she ever had yet, from one single night. She clearly loved children which was great because Alex did too, and wanted to someday have many of her own. But not only that, her innate purity and kindness was unlike anything that Alex had ever before seen and all she wanted to do was tell her exactly how much she liked that. Exactly how much she loved that. But Alex was worried that she mightn't be able to put it all into the words she wanted to say.