Hopes

A multitude of things happened all at once just as Alex was about to remark about the best night of her life. The girl that she loved suddenly fell to the floor, there was a knock on the door, and moments later as Alex ran towards her love, none other than her mother, the queen of England, walked through the must-have-been unlocked door and over to her as Alex freaked out.

"Darling what happened?" Her mother asked as Alex scooped Rosie up in her arms and with her other hand checked her pulse.

"I... I don't know she just suddenly fell, mamma I don't know what to do." Alex said, her voice full of panic as she looked at her mother as if she was a little girl again who'd broken her leg after fighting with boys at school.

"It's alright darling I'm sure she will be fine. We'll take her home and I'll call ahead for a doctor." She instructed and Alex nodded as she quickly carried Rosie and followed her mother towards the limo that was awaiting her. Once Alex had made sure that Rosie was safely strapped in, she got in the car herself with Rosie on one side, and her mother on the other.

"Straight home Peter, on the double please." Her mother commanded the driver, who immediately obeyed with an ever respectful 'yes mam.'

"Mum, why did you come?" Alex asked after a few moments of silence as she played worriedly with Rosie's hair, her head safely resting on her lap.

"I heard from your brothers about that stunt your father pulled and I was worried about you. You know that I don't care that your gay sweetheart, I just care for you to be safe and well, that's what matters. Of course, we do also need to do our duty as royals to our people, but what your father did is unacceptable and I'm sorry about that."

Alex nodded her thanks as she looked down in concern at Rosie, who stirred a little as she snuggled more deeply into Alex's lap.

"So.... She's different, isn't she?" Her mother suddenly asked, causing Alex to look at her with serious eyes.

"Yes." She agreed.

"Mamma, she's different to any girl I've ever met before, she's sweet and kind and just so amazing, I cannot believe she actually exists, but she does and I just really, really don't want to mess this up."

Her mother chuckled and sighed.

"Ah, young love." She said as she grinned at her daughter.

"Well, I'm sure that you won't... as you say, mess it up, since it seams that she is very special to you dear. Just treat her well and I'm certain she will love you too."

Alex grinned dopily as she nodded and looked at Rosie with pure adoration.

"I really hope so." She said as her mother smiled.

"I'm sure of it." She finished.

"Now." She said with a small clap. "About the end of this year." She said to which Alex gave a little frustrated groan and sighed.

"I know, but Alex, you promised me that you would do what needs to be done after having a break, and I tell you what, when your brother becomes king, you can do whatever you'd like too, but until than I need you with the family, taking photos and doing good around the press."

Alex rolled her eyes and shrugged. "Well I suppose I did promise." She muttered in annoyance and her mother tsked.

"You did." She agreed.

"But..." she continued, causing Alex to look at her with a small spark of hope in her eyes.

"I was thinking that in order to lighten the blow, perhaps we could invite Rosie to stay with us over the Christmas break, I'm sure she goes on break from her studies?" Alex beamed at her mother as she leaned across her seat to give her a hug.

"That would be great mum, thanks." She replied, feeling that at least she had a hope of seeing Rosie without having to sneak out for the moment, that-is, if she was happy to stay. And if she was even ok. A thought that sent a lump down Alex's throat as she mentally urged their car to drive faster while her mother made the call to arrange a doctor to meet them at their winter holiday home.