Doors

Rosie remained like that for a while, probably an hour at least, until she'd sighed, stood up, wiped her eyes, and bit her lip as she looked out at the snowy footpath ahead of her.

What on earth was she doing? Being so dramatic and crying her eyes out over some girl she barley even knew anyway? Was she even worth it? They had only been on three dates after all.

But even so, Rosie had begun to think that she was worth it, and more than that, she might even be the kind of woman that Rosie had never met before. Someone kind and sweet and honest. Someone that maybe, just maybe, she could trust with her heart. But now? Now Rosie wasn't so sure...

For the first time in a very long time, Rosie felt a mixture of emotions and one emotion in particular that she barley ever felt.

She felt angry. Absolutely livid in-fact.

How could she just leave like that, with no explanation and without even saying goodbye? If that's the way that Rosie was going to be treated by Alex, than perhaps she shouldn't even consider being with her at all.

The thought had crossed Rosie's mind, and she did ponder what her mother would have wanted her to do, knowing fully well that she would have wanted her to be brave and angry and walk away because she would have said that she deserved more. But Rosie didn't usually have that kind of confidence. And besides, she still had the small inkling of a feeling that perhaps there was a good explanation for this, that-is, if Alex ever 'decided' to come back to tell it.

Still though, Rosie supposed that she did have a right to be angry at Alex, so she would try to continue to be. But, if she did come back, maybe she would give her another chance?

Rosie wasn't honestly sure about anything at this point, but she knew that she couldn't stay where she was or she'd likely get hypothermia and than who was going to bake for the children at the homeless shelter or turn up for her shift at work?

Rosie sighed as she began the long, cold walk back to her dormitory. Feeling defeated, slightly angry, but mostly just plain sad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<3~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as Alex had escaped from her palace home, she'd hailed a taxi and promptly asked the driver to take her to her university. The look she had received when she'd asked him to take the hour long journey, had caused Alex to promptly pay him extra in advance, and that's all the driver had needed to get on his way.

As he drove Alex towards her destination, Alex's mind sped with thoughts. Would Rosie hate her once she explained what had happened? Would she hate her already and send her away before she even could? Alex was nervous beyond belief, and all she wanted to do right than was punch it out on her punching bag in her gym back at home. Not that she really wanted to go back home... she just usually let stuff out in that way.

When the taxi finally pulled up to the side of the road facing the University, Alex quickly thanked the driver and got out of the car. She began to walk towards Rosie's dorm, feeling her heart beat quicken in her chest as her mind raced through a million thoughts per minute. If she didn't calm herself down quickly, she might just pass out from the nerves!

But the closer she got to Rosie's dorm, the more on edge Alex felt, she'd even thought of running the other way, something that Alex would usually never do since it just wasn't a part of her personality to run in the face of fear.

But this was different. She felt for Rosie something she had never felt before for anyone, ever. And the fact that she might have ruined that before they had even had a proper chance to start something amazing together, even just the thought of that shook Alex to the very core.

But, despite all of that, and despite everything in her being telling her to run away, not to face it, Alex walked up to the door, took a deep breath and knocked upon it anyway.

Why?

Because it was Rosie.

For a moment or two, nothing happened, leaving Alex holding her breath for what was probably way too long until, finally, the door opened revealing an adorable girl in an apron with flour and chocolate mix all over her, her eyes puffy and her hair in an absolute mess, yet somehow her continuously chosen hair accessory, her pink bow, still managed to stay at the back.

Had she been baking all night? Alex thought as she looked at her with a soft fondness. But as soon as she saw the look on Rosie's face, Alex sobered up, remembering exactly what she had to do.

Rosie's eyes filtered through a bunch of different emotions all at once, that as far as Alex could detect, where a mixture of sadness, anger and... perhaps fear?

"Rosie I...." Alex began, but quickly found that her voice had caught in her throat, so she had to cough a few times until she had managed to find it once again.

"Sorry I.... I just want to say that I am so very sorry for leaving like I did so out of the blue. I.... I promise that there is an explanation and it is one that I want to give you, but I.... Well I understand if you don't want to hear it or cannot forgive me because I know that I hurt you and I'm... I'm just so sorry for that Rosie. I really didn't mean to and I.... Well... I'm sorry."

Alex rambled out, looking, at the last moment of her garble, down at the ground in shame as she noticed Rosie's eyes well up with tears.

But than, just as Alex had thought that she would be turned away, hearing the door of Rosie's dorm room slam shut in front of her and leaving her to grieve the loss of someone she could have never had, she was surprised when instead, she heard a soft little sniffle and a sigh before the girl in front of her softly whispered...

"You should come inside, it's cold."