T W E N T Y S I X

𝑻𝑹𝑬𝒀

"Daddy, what's your favorite color?" Ezra asked me. He was laying on the floor in the living room coloring while I was decorating the kitchen. It seemed like such a short while that we had been living in the apartment yet somehow, Christmas was creeping up on us.

"Hmm, I've always like blue" I said, glancing over to him. He was staring at me, patiently waiting for me to answer his question. Once he was satisfied, he looked back to his paper and continued coloring his picture.

He told me when he started, that I had to stay away from where he was because it was a surprise for me. So, I was currently pretending I couldn't see what he was doing from my place in the kitchen.

"Daddy.." Ezra called out to me, there was a slight hesitation in his tone which had me slightly worried. He was now tip toeing his way over to me, his art left discarded on the floor by the tv.

"Yes, Bug?" I questioned, turning my full attention to him. He looked at me for a split second, crossing his arms behind his back, before looking back down at the floor.

He stood there for a bit, silently, leaving to me wait for him to build up the courage to say whatever was on his mind.

One thing about Ezra, is whether or not he's big or little, he has a hard time formulating words to me if it revolves around something he wants but is unsure if he will actually be able to have.

Part of me believes it's linked to a fear of rejection which, unless it's going to hurt him, he should never be worried about when it comes to me. I would certainly give Ezra the entire universe if I had the means of doing so.

"B-Big Ezzy wants to do something" He whispered, continuing to stare at the floor, kicking at a small fake snowball that had fallen off the counter from my decorating. "And what does big Ezzy want to do?" I walked over to him, picking him up and setting him on the counter.

"He wants new hair" Was his simple response. I found it cute the way he was talking about his big self as if he was a different person. "What kind of new hair does big Ezzy want?"

Ezra finally looked up at me, kicking his legs back and forth a bit. There was a slight glint of excitement in his eyes when he realized I was nowhere near shutting down whatever idea he had in his head.

"B-Blue hair" His voice came out just above a whisper but there was a slight tone difference. I could tell he was coming out of his little space, but I knew not to acknowledge it.

I was however, a little shocked with his request. Ezra had never shown any interest in hair dye of any kind aside from saying that other people with dyed hair, mostly the girls, looked cool.

"Well, I think, if big Ezzy wants to dye his hair blue, then there's nothing wrong with that" I smiled, and at that, Ezra's eyes lit up and a there was a little smile forming on his face as well. "Y-You sure?" He questioned, now fully out of his headspace.

"Yes, lovebug, I'm sure."

Another thing about him, was the fact that he made me promise that no matter what, I would always call him by his nicknames.

"Thank you" He put his arms out for a hug, which I happy gave to him, making sure to add a little extra squeeze before we pulled away. "Anytime, munchkin" Ezra hopped off the counter after we pulled away, walking over to his room before coming back with a box.

"I-I kinda got some... already" He said sheepishly, setting the box from Amazon on the counter. A little while ago he asked me if he could order something and I told him yes, but he never specified what it was that he wanted to get.

I shook my head at him fondly, opening the box to find 2 bottles of baby blue hair dye and some color remover as well as some other things like gloves and such. "Now, how did you know this is what you needed?"

"Research?" He replied, though his response came out more like a question than an answer. "Ah, so that's what you were staying up all night watching on your iPad?" I watched as Ezra's cheeks turned pink at my words.

A couple weeks ago, I caught him still awake at 5 in the morning on his iPad. He tried hiding the fact that he was awake, but it was no use as the screen had not turned off. He had however managed to exist out of YouTube before I fully entered his room.

"Maybe" He giggled a little bit. I just stared at him fondly and placed the box on the floor next to the counter. "C-Can I help?" Ezra asked, once i started going back to decorating.

In return I gave him a look that said, 'why are you asking that question'.

A blush formed on Ezra's face as he reached into the box of decorations that I had beside me, a sheepish look on his face. 

We spent the rest of the night decorating with the things we already had, planning on going out for more tomorrow. The night was finished off with us watching The Nightmare Before Christmas, upon Ezra's request. But I couldn't complain since it was one of my favorites. 

I could already tell this would be a Christmas to remember. 

==