Chapter Twenty Seven

Hey guys it's been a while but I can explain why. My phone was recently stolen and I tend to write chapters in my notes (since my laptop battery needs replacing) and I kind of just lost all will to write after I couldn't recover my notes + really important story ideas that are now gone and can only be recovered from memory. HOWEVER I'm now on my summer hols and back from holiday.

TNM will end VERY soon. I'm just wrapping up loose ends now, but I want to finish what I've kept going these past two years and begin developing my other story's which I believe have more potential. However I also want to take this chance to thank all of you readers (as I will continue to do till he end xD) for sticking with me for these last two+ years as I finish a book for the first time!

~*~

Chapter Twenty Seven

Hospitals.

A clean building full of plain, white walls and the ever lingering scent of disinfectant and something unexplainable. Chatter is kept to a minimum in the waiting room, and the only other things heard are the odd cough or so.

Squirming slightly in the metal chair adjacent to Aiden's, I finally exhaled deeply before tapping him on the shoulder.

"Ready?" he asked and attempted to sound cheery although the uneasy smile on his face told me I wasn't the only person feeling ominous about our trip. Not trusting myself to speak, I nodded and took his outstretched hand leading the way to the reception.

After gaining the room numbers for Amelia, Vanessa and Lucy (and receiving a rather bemused look from the kind receptionist in response), we were finally able to get into the elevator leading up to their rooms, my hand latched onto his forearm as my legs threatened to collapse beneath me.

The sounds of our footsteps in the hallways that were much livelier than the waiting room as doctors are nurses bustled in and out of the hospital rooms made my stomach twist as the enormity of what we were about to do hit me.

Not only would I be confronting all three people who (I'm assuming) more-or-less didn't want to see me, I'd also unintentionally become a part of the issues and problems they were facing from the moment I'd agreed to see Alex and listen to his story - and I'm not sure whether or not Vanessa and Amelia would appreciate me knowing about their family business. 

"By the way, why are we visiting them? I thought..." he trailed off and peered at me with an uncertain look, as if afraid I would suddenly break down and cry if he mentioned the lack of friendship between Lucy and I, or the violent fight that had occurred between Lucy and Vanessa. Slightly annoyed at the fact he considered me to be that weak, but touched he was considering my feelings I let go of his arm and purposely walked ahead to avoid answering his question. Although Alex hadn't actually told me not to tell anyone about everything he'd said, it was obviously personal information that shouldn't be shared so recklessly. 

After debating on what to say for a while, finally I said, "I can't tell you that, and I'm sorry because I know it's not exactly fair after you offered to drive me down here - but I'm glad you came along because at least I have some support."

Looking puzzled, he nodded slowly and to my relief, let go of the subject and fell into step with me. Finally, we approached the room that was currently occupied by Vanessa, and although my hand was on the doorknob I was unable to turn it as my stomach turned and the ominous feeling returned.

"Are you okay? Need to calm down or anything?" I swivelled around and found Aiden peering at me with concerned eyes.

"No, not at all! I'm fine." I quickly answered and smiled to although it was painfully obvious to both of us that I was trying too hard to sound cheery, and that my smile was fake. With a deep breath, I twisted the doorknob and once I stepped in I nearly bolted back out.