Three

Levine Romanov
The pain didn't take long before it escalated.
I'm currently in the bed again, it's seven in the morning, so it's been four hours since my last conversation with Enzo.

Which has been replaying in my mind for the past hours, my cheeks have reddened to an extent, and it feels as if I want to bury myself into the nearest hole.

Ugh, I groan into the pillow and stand up, unable to contain any more pain, I get out of the room, ignoring the way my hair is sticking in different directions and most of all my pajama, there's a bear printed somewhere on my pants.

The minute I get outside I instantly sense him, Enzo is sitting in a big comfy black chair, his back is to me, his legs stretched ahead of him, and his eyes seem to be on the view in front of him.

Which is the whole city of New York nearly, it's stunning, but I'm too caught up with the pain kicking in my abdomen to even focus that much, I clear my throat noisily and he doesn't even flinch as he slowly turns his head.

"I can hear you walking." He clarifies in a rough tone, I breathe out, trying to ignore this intimidating aura radiating from him, "Do you have any painkillers around here?" I ask, my eyes flitting over his frame, his brows furrow ever so slightly and he scans me, head to toe. Finally taking all of me in his sight.

A sudden smile makes its way through his face before he rubs his lips as a way to erase it, "Your fits are immaculate." He points out before standing up, I take a step back and laugh, "Thanks." I cheer, he walks toward the hallway.

I follow him until I find myself in the kitchen, it looks as depressing and dark as the rest of the house, he walks towards the cabinets, before opening one and retrieving said painkillers.

He passes me an ibuprofen tablet, I sigh in relief as he places a glass of water beside it, moments pass and I clear my throat, "What do you need painkillers for?" He asks, I'd say it's out of curiosity, but he doesn't look like the curious type.

"My period." I just say, flatly, it's nothing to be ashamed of but for some reason I still feel naked, as if I just confessed my nastiest sin or something, realization dooms over his face but he doesn't offer any other word.

"Will ibuprofen help? Or do you need something stronger?" He sounds sincere it melts some of the concern off my body, my shoulders slack down and I nod, "I think it'll do a good job." I smile tightly.

He nods, his Adam's apple bobbing as he swallows, An awkward silence stretches between us and I slowly start to break it. "I'll go to sleep, thanks." I thank, shrugging.

He nods, doesn't offer any more words and I take it as a hint to get going, not a minute later I'm thrown into that room of mine again, how am I supposed to adapt to this world? For years? For four goddam years if we're being specific.

I'm not a spoiled brat, but complaining right now is lowkey justifiable, and even though this was already planned months ago, it still feels as if my whole life has been flipped upside down in a single day.

I fidget with my fingers and sit down, trying to ignore the rush of emotions through my body, the hormones do clear everything up though, the intensity of what I'm feeling at this very moment.

My phone pings in my hand and a text pops up.

Amelia: how is everything in New York? How is Lorenzo??

I relax at the sight of my friend's message and sigh exaggeratedly as I type in my response, Amelia and I have been friends for god knows how long, we went to the same school, our parents are slightly close, slightly close meaning that they occasionally meet every four years or something for work.

Because Amelia's father is not exactly directly involved with my father's business, it's so complicated.

Me: New York is great, about the latter though...I'm not so sure.

And it's the truth, obviously it's completely stupid to decide that Enzo completely transformed through those last years, I mean—come on, it was predictable but for some reason I was delusional, expecting a bright man with a smile filling up his face.

Sometimes I think I'm oblivious to the truth lingering around me, it took a while for it to settle in in my mind, that I'll never be like other girls, who have a normal life, I was always viewed as a threat to most of them in school, considering my origin, as if I carried a gun with me or something.

But I'm grateful for my small circle of friends, I just wanted Enzo to fit in it.

Her response comes back instantly.

Amelia: in two weeks or so, I might come around...

A smile takes over my face, excitement rushing through my veins.

Me: you should!!

I love talking with exclamations marks, it makes everything...more fun, my smile only heightens when her response comes in.

Amelia: I'm so excited.

Our conversation gets disturbed when a knock on the door startles me, my eyebrows jump, and when I say come in, I find the door opening to reveal none other than Enzo.

"I found this in my cabinet, thought it'd help, it's an herbal tea." He places the mug down beside me, I smile, surprised, "Thank you, the ibuprofen is already doing its work." I smile again before taking the mug in my hands.

Welcoming the warmth, he stares at me for a long moment as if he wants to say something, I nod for him to speak, "We didn't exactly discuss how things will go by here." He starts, i nod, we didn't.

He sits beside me on the bed, and I turn to take a better look at him, it seems as if this is the first time I entirely focus on his features, the ragged sharp jaw, the cutting high cheekbones, low set eyebrows, but what catches my attention the most is the scar on his cheekbone, it wasn't there when we were kids...if I remember correctly.

I put my curiosity aside and focus on his words, "I work, obviously so I won't be here almost all day, except Saturday, I take it off, there's a maid, called Dalia who comes here every Tuesday, she takes care of the house, cleans it up and all, the food, I cook it but since our schedule won't align, I can tell her to cook for you and leave the food in the fridge." Jesus, I feel like I owe that man a big fat apology.

"Um, that won't be needed—I can cook for myself if you're okay with that." Maybe he doesn't like someone messing around his house I have no idea, his eyebrows rise, in surprise almost, "You know how to cook?" He asks, "You could say so." I shrug.

"Are you allergic to something in particular?" He asks, "No, but I'm vegetarian." I exclaim, he raises an eyebrow, when I feel the judgment radiating off his eyes I hurry to clarify, "I love animals." Shrugging.

He blinks, "So?" He offers dryly.
"So I obviously won't eat them, they're cute." I explain, my heart tightening when I remember that one video I saw on my phone, it was a cat crying over her daughter, not that I eat cats but it's not the point.

He stares at me, "Sometimes I'm surprised you're uncle alexander's daughter." He states, I roll my eyes, "You can remember mom and it'll make complete sense." I point a finger at him, taking a sip out of my tea.

He doesn't offer more words, because it probably makes sense, but it doesn't seem as if that's the reason, it just seems as if he's zoning out I'd say, or maybe that's just his resting face, this is confusing.

He abruptly stands up, "I'll see you tonight." He says and disappears out of my room without another word, my brows furrow slightly before I go back to sipping my tea.

Enjoying the way my body is feeling this warmth.
It's helping. With everything that's happening at this moment.

A vote is really appreciated.