There Is No HER In US

*Mature Content Warning*

Beverly 

Astor and Arabella-I came to learn were the twins' names-were everything you would expect five year old's to be. They had enough energy to put the Energizer Bunny to shame. Astor carried around a doll and a brush that she ran through it's dark, brown synthetic hair every so often. During lunch she told me all about her.  It was her favorite doll because of the hair color that was just like her own. Maggie was her name and Daddy had gotten her the doll last Christmas. Maggie even had her own wardrobe. 

Arabella was the tomboy of the two. She loved the outdoors, didn't care too much for dresses and bows like her sister, and her favorite companion was a "real-life puppy" that Daddy had also gotten her. Whereas Astor shared most of Alex's feature's, Arabella was the spitting image of the woman that had joined us for lunch. 

The girls were like night and day and the only thing they really had in common was the deep admiration they had for their father. Meeting them and seeing Alex with them gave me a glimpse of a man I hadn't seen in him yet. He wiped their mouths, told them to eat everything on their plates, made sure they drank their water. It was a nice on him. 

When everyone was done with their food-save Elana-the girls asked for ice cream and drug Alex to the counter to order. It left me alone with ex-wife/baby-mamma. She seemed polite enough; had introduced herself, engaged in a little conversation...Her very black hair was cut short, just below her chin, and it's where Arabella had gotten her own black hair. She wore a little too much make-up but I wasn't there to judge her. 

Too bad I didn't know that's exactly what she was doing to me. I'd let my defenses fall prematurely. "They are lovely." I said, smiling across the table at her once we were alone. 

Elana smiled back but there was just something about it..."Thank you...I think we did a wonderful job making them." My smile wavered and she tilted her head a little, eyes narrowing. "Are you enjoying him?" It was damn eerie how her face fell in the matter of one second. 

"Pardon me?" I also stopped with the smiling to frown at her. 

"Alex...are you enjoying Alex? He's really fun, isn't he?" I just blinked across at her, more shocked than anything. "You know I think it happened like that for use too. He swooped in, all tall and delicious, fucked me a few times and tossed a ring on my finger." Elana laughed then and my heartrate rose. Then her eyes rolled. "Oh, don't look so shocked, Beverly. Think of this as a way for us to get to know each other. We should be able to talk about this stuff since, you know, you're fucking my husband." 

The warmth that went through my entire body wasn't good because it came with a side of nausea and a lump burned the back of my throat. Elana just shook her head and feigned pity. "You poor thing. Of course he didn't tell you that...it's going to be a little hard to marry a man that's well...already married." 

Astor and Arabella's excited voices and giggles suddenly reached my ears. I was glad for it too because I really had no idea what I would say to any of that. Elana completely changed at the return arrival of her daughters and husband. I masked my mood-or tried. It was a lot of smiling and answering the girls when they spoke to me. 

Finally, it was time to go. We walked the girl's to their mother's car and I stood back while Alex helped buckle them in. I didn't get to leave though until I promised that I would see them again before I went back home. 

We were in the car, leaving the restaurant far behind when Alex spoke. "Did you have a nice time?" He asked, taking my attention away from the passing skyscrapers. 

The Client's Proposalजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें