Fear Is The Root That Tethers Us In The Ground

Sunny sat beside Basil on a rusted brown bench, near the lake. The water shone beautifully with the slow sun and there was a soft wind, ruffling their hair. The wind was warm and gentle as if blew between them. Sunny looked at the water, expressionless as ever. Basil blushed a little and looked at Sunny, who was glazing at the lake with empty eyes. They always had this shine to them - it captivated Basil.

Basil awkwardly looked away and coughed. "S-So Sunny! How... How has Mewo been? I haven't seen her in a long time, a-aha..." Sunny flinched out of his trance and looked at the ground, frowning a bit. Oh...

Basil put a hand on his shoulder and tried his best to be reassuring. "I-I'm sorry..." The black-haired boy shook his head. It wasn't Basil's fault, he didn't need to apologize.

The blond, finding this situation awkward, changed the topic and conversed with Sunny for a good thirty minutes, each of them sharing things that had happened during those five years apart. Sunny... didn't have much. Of course, there were the Headspace adventures, but he didn't want to bore Basil with that. Speaking of the flower boy, he had... a lot to say. About plants, paintings, Polly, School, and more. 

Their conversations lasted a good hour before Kel came back, bouncing happily. He was grinning ear-to-ear and whispered over to the two. "Okay, okay! I got Aubrey! Uhm... So, uh, I'm gonna need you two to be light and nice for me." He gave them a thumbs-up and continued. "So- could you two act like complete strangers for a sec, just as a jokey-joke?" Kel stuck out his tongue playfully, grinned, and ran away, not bothering to wait for the two's answers.

Sunny looked up at Basil, confused. The blond shrugged and smiled nervously. 

A few moments later, Kel came back with a tall girl with pink highlights in her black and short hair. She had long checkered pants and a black school uniform destroyed into a crop top. Compared to Kel, who had a simple sweater and black shorts' combo, she looked quite well-dressed. She had Kel's blue bandana over her eyes, so she couldn't see Basil shaking with excitement and Sunny looking shocked.

Sunny took a few seconds to observe his former friend. 

Aubrey had a faint smell of lavender and alcohol radiating from her, so faint that Basil hadn't noticed. Sunny shook his head, it just must have been her mother's smell on Aubrey, right?

Kel giggled and slowly removed the bandana covered the girl's eyes.

Aubrey immediately took a step back, staring at the blond and black haired boys.

Her eyes glinted with tears and shock. a... bad kind of shock.