Chapter Seven

I awoke to a pain that I knew all too well. Clutching my chest, I stumbled from my bed, falling quite too hard onto the floor. No doubt, Izzy and Kathryn had heard and would come running to my room in 2 seconds.

I... Is this it?... Am I going to die just like this? I shiver at the thought. There was no way in hell that I would let this take me so soon. As I struggle to stand up, the door flies open to reveal someone I never expected to see barging into my bedroom.

"Evelyn!" I hear his voice gasp and almost instantaneously, he's by my side. "Evelyn, are you alright?" Jem goes to place a gentle touch to my shoulder but I flinch away. No way do I want a repeat of last time. Especially when I'm like this.

I nod my head, knowing there's no way I'd be able to voice my response. Slowly, air starts arriving in my lungs and, I swear, nothing has ever felt greater. I gasp in huge gulps of air, slowly releasing the hold on the front of my shirt. "Evelyn..?" I look up into Jem's eyes. "I'm fine, James. I had an asthma attack and I ran out of my inhaler. It won't happen again. You can leave now. Don't worry about me... You shouldn't care ... After all you did just up and leave after that incident yesterday." I snap, not meaning to come off as rude.

He nods sharply before standing up, just as Izzy, Kathryn, and Jason stepped into the room. I looked over at them to see worried looks on Izzy's face and Kathryn's face whereas Jason had a confused look on his. "You guys, I'm fine. It was just an asthma attack." I turn to face Jem, "what the hell are you even doing here?" I ignore the gasps coming from the doorway. "I wanted to see if you were okay after what happened yesterday. Although, what happened yesterday is the least of my worries. You should really go to the hospital about your asthma. It doesn't sound very good." He explained, ignoring the glare I was sending his way.

My glare soon turns into a guilt filled look. "Oh. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap on you. Its just, I think what happened yesterday-" I was interrupted by Izzy pretty much shouting into the room "What the hell happened yesterday?!" She stepped forward into the room, shooting Jem looks that would surely have killed him if looks could kill. "Nothing, Izzy. At least, nothing that James did. Don't worry, I handled it perfectly well." I smiled softly at my friend, hoping that it soothed her anger.

She sighed and turned, mumbling about making breakfast for everyone. I look towards James, immediately feeling horrible for freaking out on him. "James, I'm sorry for yelling at you. I just thought.." I trail off when I realize he's not paying the least amount of attention. I frown and turn away, not caring if he follows down to the kitchen or not.