Chapter Twelve

"Hey, baby girl. How are you feeling?" My dad asked, reaching for my hand. I couldn't believe it. After 6 tours to Iraq, my dad was finally here to stay for good. It almost seemed too good to be true. "I feel fine, daddy. Are you sure that you're here to stay? I mean, I love that you're here but... I don't want you to just disappear again." I look down, scared that he'll inform me that he's leaving again.

I heard him sigh then gather me up into a fierce hug. I could feel the imprint of him name on his uniform digging into my cheek, but I didn't care. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him back tightly. He rubbed his hand up and down my back as I started to cry. "Shhh.. Baby, it'll be okay. No more. I'm not leaving you, your brother, or your mother anymore. It just wouldn't be right. I love all three of you so, so much." He mumbled into my hair as my crying slowly died down.

I hiccupped and pulled back, looking up at him. He wiped away the water under my eyes and on my cheeks. There was the knock on the door right before it opened slightly and a head popped in. "Tyler!" I grinned and reached for him. There was no way I was ignoring a hug from my brother.

"Hey, short stuff. You okay? Mom told dad and I what's been going on. Why aren't you taking treatments, and why is there a guy out there with a kid, refusing to leave?" He exclaimed in a loud voice. I winced. My brother was many things, but quiet was not one of them. "He's a friend. His dad is the president of Harvard and that's his daughter. He cares about me.." I trail off, smiling like a lovesick puppy. I shook my head mentally. Don't do this to yourself, Evelyn. You'll just end up leaving him like Taylor did and that won't end well. After what felt like hours of nonstop talking about things my father and brother had been doing and eventually turning to more questions about James, they both left. I leaned back and closed my eyes, relishing in the peace I had found without them near. I sighed before erasing everything from my mind and instantaneously falling asleep.

The doctor exited Claire's room with a grim look. "I'm so sorry. We did everything we could but, she didn't make it." He shuffled away, no doubt wanting to skip out on the violent words that were sure to come.

Avery fell to the floor, clutching her chest and sobbing about her grandma Claire. The grandma who was far too young to die from that stupid lung thing. If Avery had her way, she would take her grandmother's place.

Alexander didn't quite know how to react. Sure, he'd met Avery's grandmother on plenty occasions but they were far from being friends. He sighed and leaned down, gathering Avery into his arms and rocking her gently. "Shhh, my darling. I've got you." He mumbled into her ear, hoping for it to reassure her.

Sebastian sunk into a chair, fully unaware of what was happening around him. All he could think about was Claire. His beautiful, talented Claire. It was much too soon. He placed his head into his hands and cried for the loss of his wife. He cried for the children who both he and his wife had outlived. He cried for his granddaughter who only knew of her grandmother as a mother figure. Lastly, he cried for himself. How unfair of God to take away Sebastian's sunshine, his lifeline. All Sebastian knew was that, without Claire, he wasn't Sebastian.

I woke with a start, gasping for air as I sat straight up in bed. I ran my hands over my face. Why do I keep seeing these...these things? What do they have to do with me? I sighed and swung my legs over the side of the bed then padded to the bathroom. I did whatever business I needed to do before walking back into the hospital room, jumping at the figure in the room. "Hello! I'm Tatianna. James' sister. It's lovely to meet you!" The cheery blonde said, holding her hand out to me to shake. I grabbed it and shook it before walking back to my bed and sitting down. "Its lovely to meet you, Tatianna. James never mentioned he had a sister before." I mumble, leaning back against my pillows, preparing myself for hours of endless conversation with her.

Rather than endless hours, it was only an hour or so that she stayed and, surprisingly, I liked having a conversation with her. She told me a lot about her childhood and growing up with James. In return, I explained about growing up as an army brat and having an older brother who wanted to follow in our father's footsteps. Eventually, she excused herself, leaving me, once again, with the quiet and the comfort of my dreams.