Diaper Duty

A/N: Taking place before TBT

                            __________________________________________________

John Dory sighed, his head slumped against the windowsill of their pod and a pout on his lips. Outside, a harsh storm had just started to pour down, the sky clapping with thunder and raindrops beating harshly against the land. It was so not the way that he'd pictured this evening. It was supposed to be another great one up on the mushroom stage, belting out a song alongside his brothers, eating up the claps and cheers from the audience and soaking in the praise – not getting soaked in raindrops.

Behind him, he could hear the sounds of soaked feet squishing against the soft carpet and the sounds of water droplets patting against the floor as hair was wringed out. He, Spruce, Clay, and Floyd had made an effort to try and get out as quickly as they could before their concert got rained out, but it just hadn't been fast enough. Heck, even Baby Branch, who was too young to perform and had only been there to watch, was soaked from head to toe. And all four of them were also less than pleased with the turnout of that evening.

John Dory groaned, finally prying himself away from the window and turning towards his brothers. "This stinks!" he exclaimed, kicking at the air angrily. There were only so many rehearsals they could do before they got bored and craved the real deal of an actual performance.

The other boys nodded, solemnly agreeing.

Floyd sighed. "Yeah..." But then, he scrunched his nose, a look of disgust crossing his face. "Ugh... but that's not the only thing that stinks..."

It was then that Clay and Spruce, too, donned their magenta sibling's same expression.

"Aww, ewww!" the yellow-haired Trolling moaned, pinching his nose to keep the putrid odor from infiltrating his nostrils. "Spruce, did you let one rip? Not cool, man!"

"Don't blame this on me," the purple-haired Trolling said, defending himself from the accusation, "it was you who probably did!"

"No way, dude," Clay retorted. "I might be all for jokes n' stuff, but I wouldn't do something like that. That's just wrong!"

John Dory, who'd made his way over as Clay and Spruce bickered, suddenly realized where the smell was coming from. "Bros, I think it's Branch!"

The boys paused. "Branch?" they echoed.

JD picked the little baby up off the ground, who babbled at his brother with his one-toothed grin. It was when he was up close to his youngest brother that JD saw the lump that hung in his diaper, and noticed the awful scent that wafted into his nose was much stronger now.

"Ugh! Okay, I don't think it's Branch. I know it's Branch." He held the baby at an arms length away. "Okay, guys, whose turn is it to..."

But John Dory trailed off when he turned to look at the others. Within the split moment in which he'd affirmed the case of Branch's dirty diaper and began to ask the question, Spruce, Clay, and Floyd had already picked up and dashed off from right under his nose, the only evidence of them ever having been there in the first place being a strand from each of their colorful hairs in the spots where they'd been sitting.

"Seriously, guys?!" John Dory complained. "Just cuz I'm the oldest doesn't mean I gotta do all the dirty work!"

But, left without a choice, JD just sucked it up, using one of Grandma Rosiepuff's clothespins to pinch his nose and grabbing a fresh diaper from the package they had.

"Remind me to add potty-training to your schedule, bro, a'ight?" he said rather nasally to Branch as he laid him down on the changing table and began to undo the diaper, cringing distastefully with every move.

Baby Branch just giggled in response.