Doubts

A/N: Requested by ceci-butterfly on Tumblr :)

                            __________________________________________________

Branch wasn't usually wrong about things. But in the occasion that he was, there was usually good reason for it. He remembered the rather sarcastic remark he'd made when venturing to Vacay Island, declaring that their adventure right then and there was their 'most fun mission.'

Well, this wasn't the case.

It wasn't anything to get him wrong about, though. Going on their travels, singing, dancing, and bonding with family really was fun (if you excluded nearly getting squashed by doll-like maniacs). But the adventure of sorts that he found himself in now had succeeded in topping that.

Branch stretched out the cramping in his hand, taking a break from the way he was holding the paintbrush, and considered that thought yet again, as he had been for many days at a time. Maybe it was silly calling it an adventure. When he thought of one, he pictured defeating traitorous zenmasters, overthrowing Rock Apocalypses, or exposing frauds through the power of diamond-shattering Family Harmonies. Not one of... fatherhood.

But nonetheless, whether it could be categorized as an 'adventure' or maybe not, it still was something alright.

News traveled quickly of the pregnancy, and it was the fuss of the town. Poppy - friend, beloved Queen - was going to become a mother! It was enough to light up one's face like a Christmas Tree at the mere mention of it.

He could feel the excitement every moment he stepped out into Pop Village, stronger now more than ever since the actual egg had been laid, the buzz of anticipation and happiness with every Troll who passed him by and offered their congrats, or gifts for their new child, or, as it was on most occasions, both!

Branch took it all in stride, proud and eager, arranging everything he'd graciously received into the newest addition to his bunker, specially made for the newest addition in their lives. Toys, blankets, bottles, and diapers galore were all set into the nursery, the pièce de résistance itself the lovely wooden bassinet that he had so carefully crafted by hand himself, and was in the process of painting.

Branch smiled. He was excited. He was excited to see her excited, and everybody else!

However, there was still something that he couldn't ignore. Something he couldn't so easily shake off.

And those were the nerves.

Entering parenthood was like entering one of the musical tribes for the first time. Unknown territory, foreign lands he hadn't traveled and didn't know what to expect from it. Sure, his nursery exemplified the love, care, and dedication he was putting forth for the baby and Poppy... but was it enough?

The chipper melody of his beloved suddenly drew him from the musings, making him smile.

"Oh!" Poppy gasped as she entered the space, clasping her hands and looking all over at the domestic little room. "It looks great!"

Branch set the brush down and greeted her with a quick hug and swift peck on the cheek. "Thanks." He said it in a manner that he believed was casual and nonchalant. Poppy, however, seemed to pick up on the undertone of tension that was hidden beneath his words. Her brow creased into an expression of concern.

"What's the matter?" she asked, taking his hands into hers.

Branch glanced at her, stunned for a second for her having figured him out so quickly like that. But then again, this was Poppy, and she knew how he worked - mentally, physically, and emotionally. She knew what tones in his voice were indicative of distress, knew that the caress of her hand over the back of his would begin to quell any anxieties within seconds after she touched it, knew that he could openly speak to her about whatever storms of doubt were clouding his mind...

Branch shrugged. "Oh, I don't know, I just..." He paused to take a deep breath, and then continued. "I guess I almost feel like I'm not cut out for this..."

Poppy blinked in surprise at him. "What? No... no, how can you say that about yourself?" She shook her head, trying to comprehend what would make him conclude such a thing. Branch, even before the baby was born, was already proving to be a wonderful father!

"I'll tell you how," he said firmly, "Just look at the way I was raised! My brothers weren't there, and neither was Grandma... I had to do it myself. And you remember the whole 'Bergens are coming' thing, right?" He ducked his head in shame, himself not wanting to recall his boisterous, reluctant behavior in his gray days. That had been some dark time for him, a time that he was ashamed to even claim as his own. He had learned some valuable lessons about survival, in retrospect, but at what cost? At the cost of pushing everybody away? Secluding himself? Purposefully estranged from the girl he loved?

"I just don't want to be a letdown for our baby," he admitted in a hushed voice. "I don't want to be a failure. We've already been through so much, and I... I would just hate to make it any worse..." He shuddered to think what might happen if he was unable to provide properly, unable to continue showing the affection the baby so rightly deserved.

Poppy's eyes softened, her demeanor shifting slightly. "Oh Branch..." Her coo was as gentle as her touch upon his arm. "Listen to me: You will never be a letdown to me. Nobody can blame you for how you were back then, or for what happened. If anything, our experiences together helped shape us. And I wouldn't change any of it."

Branch raised an eyebrow at her. "Not even the whole smashing-cards-in-front-of-you thing?"

Poppy laughed. "No, not even that. Besides... you kept all those cards, remember?"

The blue Troll blushed, the time he had revealed his collected stash having been a memorable one.

"And you don't have to worry about junior, here," Poppy added, reaching into her pink hair and pulling out the delicate little egg, a beautiful pastel blue with pink swirls. She caressed it for a second, and then lifted it up, pretending to ask it a question. "Baby, do you love your Daddy?" She provided the answer, using a higher-pitched voice to act as the baby. "Yes, yes I do!" She put on her normal voice after that to ask, "Is he the best Daddy in the whole wide world?", and then put on the higher voice again for when she answered, "Yes, yes he is!"

Branch and Poppy laughed together as she passed the egg onto him. He looked meaningfully at it for a second, touching the shell's exterior gently and stroking its soft texture.

"I don't know if we'll be the best parents ever," Poppy said, shrugging, "but, as long as we do it together, it doesn't hurt to try... does it?"

Branch gazed at her with shining eyes. "It doesn't hurt at all," he responded simply, " and Poppy giggled, leaning her head against his, with their egg snug between them.

The Troll felt a warmth spreading through his chest, a newfound confidence blooming within. And, as they stood together in the gentle glow of the nursery lights, the pair couldn't wait to face the next chapter of their lives, hand in hand, side by side, together forever and always.