Taking the News - Branch Edition

A/N: Prequel to "Taking the News," requested by ceci-butterfly on Tumblr :)

                            __________________________________________________

Branch scrunched his nose, considering the fact that there were a number of better things to be doing than willingly being in the presence of a vomiting individual.

But, when that said individual was Poppy, he put aside the feelings of distaste as best he could and focused on making sure none of the rainbow-colored, glittery substance got onto her hair.

He held back the pink strands delicately away from her face and grimaced more than a few times at the combination of her retching, and just how much she had heaved.

While it had felt like forever, Poppy finally was able to get herself under control, and sat back with an exhausted sigh. Branch eyed her with a raised brow, and the Pop Queen felt sheepish upon the question that he presented.

"So... the stomach bug is all gone, huh?"

She fiddled with her fingers and looked down. "Um, well..." A nervous titter came out, and then she gave up. "Oops."

Branch sighed. "It's not 'oops,' Poppy. If you were still sick, you could've told me. It hardly takes anything for me to go get you something to treat it. Dr. Moonbloom has plenty of supplies!"

"I know, Branch," she said meekly, "I just didn't want you to worry..."

"You don't want me to worry?" he repeated incredulously. "Well, now I am. If this thing's not gone by now, it could be something serious!"

But to his surprise, Poppy was not as overly concerned as he would've figured. As a matter of fact, she got shy, and spoke her next words bashfully. "It's, um, not as serious as you might think..." Poppy almost wanted to laugh at the deadpanned expression he donned in that next second, but she knew better than to do so. He was clearly under the worst impressions of her health. Which meant it was finally time to come clean. "Look, Branch, there's something I have to tell you about... or, um, I guess I should say someone."

Branch crossed his arms. "Okay, what exactly are you talking about, Poppy? What do you mean 'someone'?"

"Oh, you know," she said, attempting to sound matter-of-fact, "someone teeny and weeny, and cute as heck... assuming he or she comes out looking like you."

Wait... what? Branch blinked, his brain making the connections it had to make in order to fully comprehend the situation and its full truth. The unexpected vomiting, the shyness in Poppy's voice, the mentions of a mysterious 'someone' by themselves didn't quite make as much sense as they did when he considered them all together. And, to add further confirmation for what he was coming to conclude, she slowly lifted a hand and allowed it to rest on her belly, her gaze shifting down at it first before it met his.

"Branch," she whispered softly, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I guess I just wasn't sure how, but, uh... I'm... um..."

"Pregnant," he finished, the tone in his voice mystified.

Poppy nodded. "Yeah."

Silence settled between them for what seemed like an eternity as Branch processed this. He supposed it made sense, with how, er... active he and Poppy had been in the more intimate aspects of their relationship. But still, the idea of becoming a father was rather jarring; one that left him wondering if he was ready for that kind of responsibility and commitment that he never figured would be in the cards for him in the first place! And yet...

I'm going to be a dad...

His gaze softened, and without thinking he reached out a hand toward her belly, where it still lay quite flat. He lightly brushed his fingertips over the slight swell that was there, the Troll marveling at the fact that it would one day be the very life that they'd created, running around singing songs like his (or her!) mother or crazily preparing like his (or her!) father. A perfect product, a wondrous blend between him and her that could only result from something as strong as their love. It almost felt surreal, like a dream. Like he'd suddenly been thrust into a completely new reality in which things went beyond what he thought possible, in the best way possible.

A soft sound escaped him, akin to a breathy chuckle, and his eyes glistened with moisture. The hand withdrew from Poppy's stomach to rest on top of hers instead, as a smile - growing increasingly wider upon his lips - pulled at his cheeks. "Poppy, I-" He cut himself off abruptly, unsure exactly WHAT he could say in this circumstance that could voice everything he felt at the moment. How excited he was, how proud, how honored he was for having been given the opportunity to experience such joy, and most importantly, how he loved her with every fiber of his being, even more than he could possibly go on to explain. However, the only thing he could seem to articulate in a simple, and rather dumbfounded manner was...

"Poppy, you're PREGNANT!"

And, despite the telltale chime of their bracelets that was usually indicative of Hug Time not ringing, Branch swept Poppy in for an embrace, his arms wrapped snugly around her waist, careful not to press too firmly against the abdomen carrying their precious bundle. Poppy giggled joyfully and returned the hug with a great enthusiasm, the bubbly feeling within her heart overflowing and making itself known through laughter and tears, neither one being able to be kept in check. "Oh, Branch," she cooed, her voice sounding slightly choked with emotion, "this is just so.... so...."

He lifted his head from where he'd nuzzled it against the crook of her neck to give her smirk, blue eyes twinkling playfully. "Fantast-amazing?" he suggested.

The mention of her sister's favorite phrase made Poppy gasp. "Oh, Branch!" she said again, this time with more urgency and excitement. "Viva! And John Dory, and Bruce, and Clay, and Floyd!" she spewed, each name tumbling out in a rush. "Oh my goodness, we should tell them!!"

Branch's face lit. "Yeah!" he was quick to agree, the elated mood that gripped him too much for him to contain.

"Uh-huh!" Poppy agreed. "But first - "

She interrupted herself, by grabbing him by the vest and pulling him in for a sweet kiss. Branch melted, obliging happily to her and relishing the sensation. For once he couldn't bring himself to fret over the sudden change in their lives, and all the worrying over the crazy preparations he would go on to make in order to ensure everything went absolutely flawless with their parenting.

Branch simply enjoyed his moment of bliss as he let it flow through his entire being, letting him revel in the feeling of his and Poppy's euphoria. Their family was going to get bigger, and he was beyond thrilled for what wonderful surprises lay ahead!