Chewed

A/N: Requested by webslingerofthegalaxy on Tumblr :)

                            __________________________________________________

"Alright, folks, what'll it be tonight?"

While Poppy, Branch, and Viva were quick to reply to Bruce's query with their orders of fricassee squid, jellyfish sliders, and nachos, Peppy took a minute for himself, humming thoughtfully at the menu in his hands.

"Hmmm... those fried clams sound delicious!" he said finally, with a nod to confirm his order.

But Bruce grimaced. "Oof, yeah, sorry I forgot to mention it, but you're not gonna wanna order those, trust me." Then, with a dramatic lowering of his voice to a hushed whisper, he added, "Don't ask why."

The former Pop King looked confused for a moment, but then shrugged it off. "Ah well, alright. I guess I'll take the menudo instead."

Bruce beamed as he grabbed the menus. "Ah, much better! You'll love it. Be right back with everything, alright!"

The four watched as the purple-haired Troll scurried back to the kitchen to assist his wife with the meals, and then they turned to each other.

"Huh... I wonder what the deal is with those clams?" Viva wondered aloud.

Poppy shrugged. "Don't know! But, hopefully he won't keep it a secret for long." The Pop Queen ensured to put emphasis on the word secret, shooting a glance at her boyfriend and her father and hoping that they caught her drift. There was something she had been meaning to address with the two of them, and now seemed like the perfect opportunity to bring it up.

But, as it was, neither one of them had taken notice. Branch and King Peppy's gazes had drifted towards the karaoke stage, where their attention was taken by a performer's rendition of "Vacation."

Viva's face lit. "Ooo, I love this song!" she exclaimed. Then, getting an idea, she turned to Peppy. "Daddy, we should all go on there next!"

King Peppy, however, kindly declined, waving a hand. "Oho, no dear, I couldn't."

"Sure you could!" Viva encouraged. "Poppy, Branch, and I did just the other day! Right?"

"Uh-huh!" the pink Troll agreed, while the blue nodded.

"And you all were wonderful," Peppy complimented. "But, I'm afraid I can't sing and dance the way you and your band do," he explained. "And besides... I've already thrown my back out one too many times in the morning songs as it is!" He admitted it with a sheepish grin, rubbing where the ache still lingered.

Viva pouted a little, but Peppy offered her reassurance. "But don't worry - I'll be right in the front row, cheering you on. I wouldn't miss one of your performances for the world!"

Viva grinned and nudged her sister. "Remember how excited you got when Branch asked you to join the band?" she giggled.

"Uh, yeah! How can I forget!" Poppy exclaimed, shooting a grateful glance at her boyfriend.

Branch chuckled. "Yeah, neither can I."

"And me neither!" Peppy pitched in, putting one of his hands on his heart, and the other on Branch's shoulder. "My boy, you nearly startled me out of my wits! If I hadn't known any better, I would've thought your 'proposal' would have ended differently."

"You mean like my sis and Branch getting married?" Viva blurted gleefully. Her words caused the pink and blue Trolls to grow bashful, and Peppy's eyes to widen. Viva rolled her eyes. "Come on, guys, is it really that weird now? I've already planned out the flower colors for your bouquet, you know!"